• Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

favour

Hello, teachers.
    I have a question about the meaning of "favour" in the followng passage:

Miss Joliffe found drawers full of such disheartening packets (=rolls of unpaid bills) after his death, for Martin had a talent for distributing his favours, and of planting small debts far and wide, which by-and-by grew up into a very upas forest.

Does this word simply means "an act of gracious kindness"? I am puzzled because it seems to me that Martin "asked a favor of many people (in order to borrow money)" instead of "giving his favors to them". Or does the author humorously described his borrowing money as "distributing his favors"? I appreciate any comments. Thank you in advance!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: favour

The phrase "distributing his favours" is often used to imply that someone has many love affairs. That may well be what the author means.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Hello, oregeezer.
    Thank you very much for your precious comment. I didn't know
    >"distributing his favours" is often used to imply that someone has many love affairs.
    But Martin must have been a handsome person, and it is probable that he had many love affairs. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by imchongjun View Post
    Hello, teachers.
    I have a question about the meaning of "favour" in the followng passage:

Miss Joliffe found drawers full of such disheartening packets (=rolls of unpaid bills) after his death, for Martin had a talent for distributing his favours, and of planting small debts far and wide, which by-and-by grew up into a very upas forest.

Does this word simply means "an act of gracious kindness"? I am puzzled because it seems to me that Martin "asked a favor of many people (in order to borrow money)" instead of "giving his favors to them". Or does the author humorously described his borrowing money as "distributing his favors"? I appreciate any comments. Thank you in advance!!
    In this context it has nothing to do with love affairs.

Martin has been buying goods and services from many places, but not paying his bills. He has been distributing the [very dubious] favour of his purchasing to many unfortunate tradesmen.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Oh... I see.
    Thank you, Anglika. Very helpful as usual and sorry for being late to reply.