• Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

starry sky

Hi!
    I'm translating a museum website from Hungarian into English. There's an archeological exhibiton featuring ancient death cult, burial habits etc. In my translation the name of the exhibition is "Dwellers of the starry sky". However, museum folks came up with another version, claiming to have borrowed it from a book published in Egypt. Their version is "Denizens of the star-studded sky". Does it make any sense? I've never met the words "denizen" or "star-studded" before, so I have no idea about their collocations.
    Which name would you choose?

thanks

Zsopika

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: starry sky

"Denizens of the star-studded sky," sounds just fine. It may be a little pretentious, but then again, the original Hungarian may have been pretentious as well. Pretentiousness is a perfectly natural register for people who make up names for museum exhibits. In fact, I prefer the "Denizens" title to the "Dwellers" title for no particular reason.

2. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary

Re: starry sky

Thanks for your help. So I won't insist on my own version. By the way, the original Hungarian name is not in the least pretentious.