Phrasal Verbs

would you please help me out to memorize the phrasal verbs ?
    English is me second language ,i find it too hard for me to get them all in my mind i feel i need to laern them by heart in order to use it at work ,with my friends .

Re: Phrasal Verbs

Quote Originally Posted by amnake2004 View Post
    would you please help me out to memorize the phrasal verbs ?
    English is me second language ,i find it too hard for me to get them all in my mind i feel i need to laern them by heart in order to use it at work ,with my friends .
    Learning things by heart doesn't help language learners, Amnake. You want to learn them in context. That means you do a phrasal verb combined with an action. With enough practice that sets it in your brain so that when the time comes to use it, it'll be there.

Memorized things are not the same as knowing something for language. I believe that they are stored in different parts of the brain. Possibly the "memory" for language has faster synapses. But what I found in my years of teaching was that memorized things were indeed in the brain but that they were "forgotten" when needed for langiage use.

Post some of the phrasal verbs that you'd like to learn to use and I'll show you what I mean.

i will give some phrasal verbs as example for me i really can not find a way to be good at using them with my Boss like :
    Make it up
    hold over
    make over
    make do with
    these words are an example to show my problem to use the pharsal verbs so i would like to know what should i do to get over it

i will give some phrasal verbs as example for me i really can not find a way to be good at using them with my Boss like :
    Make it up
    hold over
    make over
    make do with
    these words are an example to show my problem to use the pharsal verbs so i would like to know what should i do to get over it
    I see that you're in the USA, Amnake. I don't know what your situation is. How long have you been in the USA? How long will you be staying there?

You should be able to get a chance to use these at some time or other, but in order to do that you've got to get prepared.

You can do that by practicing yourself. Use these phrasals and any others as much as you can.

make it up - I'm going to make up a fib. "I'm a doctor" Not really, I just made it up.

Use it with a list of occupations in order to learn them too. After twenty or so times, it will start to set in your brain so that when you need it, it'll be there.

hold over - What meaning?

make over - I'm going to go to the beauty parlor and have a [complete] make over. Well, maybe I won't have a complete make over, just a partial make over. Then again, I don't need a make over, I like me just how I am.

make do with - I'm going to go out for a steak tonight. Naaaaaa, I'll make do with a hamburger and save some money/a few shekels.

Yesterday, I was going to go out for a steak but I made do with a hamburger, which saved me some money.

The secret to learning a language is using the language. Sometimes you have to do forced learning but it'll prepare you for the real thing when it happens. It takes time and effort and if you're willing to invest the effort you'll be rewarded with increased levels of fluency.

thanks
    a lot for your tips ,,,,
    i have been in USA for 3 years ,i live there &work too,that is my main reason
    for me to improve my english ,
    i will try to study the pharsal verb in sentences ,

please stay in touch with me for more tips
    Amnake,

thanks
    a lot for your tips ,,,,
    i have been in USA for 3 years ,i live there &work too,that is my main reason
    for me to improve my english ,
    i will try to study the pharsal verb in sentences ,

please stay in touch with me for more tips
    Amnake,
    You're most welcome, Amnake.

See, you've already used one in a real life situation here with me.

"please stay in touch with me for more tips".

Just a small point to help you along. By using 'for' you're suggesting that I can get some tips from you [which I probably can; my students have taught me a great deal about language over the years].

Probably what you want is one of the following:

Please stay in touch with me [for] so I can get more tips.

Please stay in touch with me [for] to give me more tips.

I sure will stay in touch. You ask questions here and I'll be sure to respond