redundant word?

Hello there

May I kindly know whether the word "after" is redundant in the following sentence.

After having seen your advertisement in the Sunday Times, I would .....

Warm regards
    Udara

Re: redundant word?

yes... you could drop either "after or having" and have a perfectly good phrase.

Option 1: [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CVenzke/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CVenzke/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]Having seen your advertisement in the Sunday Times, I would .....

Option 2: After seeing your advertisement in the Sunday Times, I would .....

albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Re: redundant word?

Quote Originally Posted by Hi_there_Carl View Post
    yes... you could drop either "after or having" and have a perfectly good phrase.

Option 1: [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CVenzke/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CVenzke/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]Having seen your advertisement in the Sunday Times, I would .....

Option 2: After seeing your advertisement in the Sunday Times, I would .....
    (My two cents)(Not a teacher)
    The present perfect (After/Having seen your advertisement in the Sunday Times)denotes an action taking place before another action ( I would .....) in the main clause. As "After" itself shows the same meaning as the present perfect, you can take either of them instead of both.