Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Antonio

Back on and Left off

Hello UsingEnglish.com,

I been looking up for two words that I don't haven't listed in my books. The first one is back on. I heard a sentence like "Is your credit back on", first of all, what does it mean? and for what other examples can I used it?, can you give me an example?. The word is a reduction form of "Back on track" or "Back on your feet"

The second word is left off, I heard sentences like "When we left off in the last class/relationship" and the same question, what does it mean?, for what other examples can I use it?, can you give me an example?.

Thanks in advanced,
    Antonio.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Back on = restored
    Left off = finished

3. Antonio
    Can anyone help me out to make a sentence using the phrasal verb left off. I have one

"Could you please tell me, where we left off" (I wanna add in this sentence, in the last class) How can I do that?

I heard that this phrasal verb can be also used in a relationship, business or a proyect too, can you make a sentence of each one to get the whole picture?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.

4. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Could you please tell me where we left off at the end of the last class?

I'm not sure about how you'd use this with a relationship, but with any work, you can stop at some stage and come back later:
    Because of the mergency we had to leave off finalising the financial details, etc.

5. Antonio
    Can I say following the same meaning "I'm so sorry that you left off" In this context left off means to finish or end, right?

Thanks in advance,
    Antonio.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

You'd have to say 'left something off', and it would have to be something that wasn't finished, like when they leave off a story in the news because a really big story comes through.