• Post Thanks / Like

1) Ask: Is there a way to tell that the teacher is happy with your work?

Answer:
    a) No, not that I know of
    b) No, she isn't pleased with it
    c) No, I haven't told her

The answer is a. but not b. Why?
    ( I'm not so sure about the question, I cannot make out the word after tell, if you can , please download the file here, question 28 http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/eli1/ec...Track%2004.mp3 )

2) If a person cut class and leave home to become a gang member or a hobo or a drug addict. How do you say that verb?

3) Can I use the term : The US government in a formal writing when no abrreviation allowed. How can I replace the word US?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1) Ask: Is there a way to tell that the teacher is happy with your work?

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    Answer:

The answer is a. but not b. Why? The question is asking if you identify how a teacher is pleased with your work, so [a] is the only possible answer.
    ( I'm not so sure about the question, I cannot make out the word after tell, if you can , please download the file here, question 28 http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli/eli1/ec...Track%2004.mp3 )

2) If a person cut class and leave home to become a gang member or a hobo or a drug addict. How do you say that verb? what verb?

3) Can I use the term : The US government in a formal writing when no abrreviation allowed. How can I replace the word US? If abbreviation is not allowed, then no. The United States' government OR the government of the United States of America.

• Post Thanks / Like

hi,
    But I don't know what a mean, can you please interpret it to me?
    2) I mean that a person ( a young adult) that is insolent, he leaves home then becomes drug addict or a member of a gangs, what is the verb for all the actions?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    Answer:

The answer is a. but not b. Why?

a) is the most direct answer to the question placed and for the limitations that a test places upon students, it's the choice. In real life, b) could easily be a reply.

2) If a person cut class and leave home to become a gang member or a hobo or a drug addict. How do you say that verb?
    I think that there may be something to describe this situation, Belly, but it escapes me now.

• Post Thanks / Like

1) The question can be rephrased: Is there in existence a method of knowing whether the teacher is happy with your work? The answers, then, would be rephrased:

a) No, I do not believe such a method exists. (Yes, perfect fit.)
    b) No; in fact, she is not happy. (But how do you know she's happy with it if there's no way of knowing?)
    c) (We've already eliminated that one...)

2) Do you mean, "drop out [of school/college]"?