Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #1

    Adjective Usage

    Hi teachers!

    I want to know the differences between v~ing(Present Participle) and to v(Infinitive) when they are used as an Adjective role to modify Noun.


    ex) This book will consist of several stories (containing/to contain) a lot of funny anecdotes.

    I don't know exactly what is the difference between "containing" and
    "to contain" in the above sentence.


    Many detailed explanations would be much appreciated.

    Regards~.


    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 137
    #2

    Re: Adjective Usage

    Hi,
    I'm afraid you can't use 'to contain' in your example. You can use to-infinitive after a noun to express 'purpose'. ...'several stories to be read in front of the fireplace'. (I'm not a teacher, so let's see what they tell you).
    Regards.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,879
    #3

    Re: Adjective Usage

    'To contain' would suggest that the book will not contain the stories at the time ofpublication.


    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #4

    Re: Adjective Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuisi View Post
    Hi,
    I'm afraid you can't use 'to contain' in your example. You can use to-infinitive after a noun to express 'purpose'. ...'several stories to be read in front of the fireplace'. (I'm not a teacher, so let's see what they tell you).
    Regards.
    Thank you for your opinion. Let's see what other explanations are.


    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #5

    Re: Adjective Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    'To contain' would suggest that the book will not contain the stories at the time ofpublication.
    Thanks! but to be honest, I'm still confused. You mean "To contain" can imply
    that the book will not contain a lot of funny anecdotes at the time of publication.?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,879
    #6

    Re: Adjective Usage

    Maybe better, it means that the stories as they stand at the moment do not contain them, which is improbable- 'containing' describes the current situation of the stories and 'to contain' would describe the future.


    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 160
    #7

    Re: Adjective Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Maybe better, it means that the stories as they stand at the moment do not contain them, which is improbable- 'containing' describes the current situation of the stories and 'to contain' would describe the future.
    I got it. Thank you very much for your explanation!

Similar Threads

  1. Adjective Complements
    By fiona bramble in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 04:42
  2. The usage of and with a noun and adjective
    By Lovely Star Pupil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2007, 14:26
  3. Adjective Usage
    By keffect24 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2007, 03:40
  4. Adjective or Adverb?
    By justinwschang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2007, 14:27
  5. usage of firm as a adjective
    By getmacky in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-Jan-2007, 09:44

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •