Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Cool "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    When indicating something worth enough, where must we put "worth" before or after the word meriting be worth? Is there any kind of exceptions, rules?

    Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Do you mean sentences that say

    That job is not worth the hassle.

    That vase is not worth two hundred dollars.

    or are you talking about worthy or worthiness?

    Please give sample sentences. English is too complex to figure out word by word. We must see the context of your questions!!

  2. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Cool Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Do you mean sentences that say

    That job is not worth the hassle.

    That vase is not worth two hundred dollars.

    or are you talking about worthy or worthiness?

    Please give sample sentences. English is too complex to figure out word by word. We must see the context of your questions!!
    For instance, I read that a book is "worth reading" meaning this book is good to spend time in it, but what I ask is if is there a rule that put worth always before, or can we put it after the word. I don't know but it sounds better to say confident worth that worth confident. Maybe none of them are correct because confident is an adjective. DO you know the rule applying worth? Confident worth is for "something you can trust in"


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

    There is little worth in failing to complete your homework.
    What greater worth is there than to be well-educated?


    The answer is that you can do both, depending on the context and what you intend to say.

    I don't quite see how you can use "worth" and "confident" together. What is your sentence using them?

  3. apex2000's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 785
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    For instance, I read that a book is "worth reading" meaning this book is good to spend time in it, but what I ask is if is there a rule that put worth always before, or can we put it after the word. I don't know but it sounds better to say confident worth that worth confident. Maybe none of them are correct because confident is an adjective. DO you know the rule applying worth? Confident worth is for "something you can trust in"
    Your confusion is due to worth being both a noun and an intransitive verb.
    The worth of something is about its value, in money, quality, merit or importance. So a book is worth reading because it is a good read, interesting read or simply enjoyable.
    The worth of this book lies in its subtle use of words.
    The real worth of this book............
    Confident is not used with worth as you imply, but:
    I am confident about the worth of this book, and,
    The worth of this book is in the confidence it gives to the reader.

  4. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Cool Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If something is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

    There is little worth in failing to complete your homework.
    What greater worth is there than to be well-educated?


    The answer is that you can do both, depending on the context and what you intend to say.

    I don't quite see how you can use "worth" and "confident" together. What is your sentence using them?
    I've used "Confident worth" in the sense of something or someone susceptible of being trusted enough. It seems this is not a possible way of saying in English. Isn't it?

  5. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Cool Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    Your confusion is due to worth being both a noun and an intransitive verb.
    The worth of something is about its value, in money, quality, merit or importance. So a book is worth reading because it is a good read, interesting read or simply enjoyable.
    The worth of this book lies in its subtle use of words.
    The real worth of this book............
    Confident is not used with worth as you imply, but:
    I am confident about the worth of this book, and,
    The worth of this book is in the confidence it gives to the reader.
    So it seems worth is followed only by werbs in gerund, not by adjectives or nouns. Am I right?

  6. apex2000's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Nov 2005
    • Posts: 785
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    So it seems worth is followed only by werbs in gerund, not by adjectives or nouns. Am I right?
    OK, but remember it is a noun and as such will take adjectives as shown in some of the previous examples. Next consider:
    That worker is very good and is worth double pay.
    Would it be worth my time to go there?

  7. Bushwhacker's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,043
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Cool Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    OK, but remember it is a noun and as such will take adjectives as shown in some of the previous examples. Next consider:
    That worker is very good and is worth double pay.
    Would it be worth my time to go there?
    So, to call it a day, would it be correct to say "worth confident" in the sense of something or someone which/who you can trust in?

    Thank You for all your attention


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: "worth confident" or "confident worth"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    So, to call it a day, would it be correct to say "worth confident" in the sense of something or someone which/who you can trust in?

    Thank You for all your attention
    No - you can say "worth [our/my] confidence".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •