• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I can't do it on my own

NearThere Hi

I love it! I didn't think you would come up with a paragraph using all the words, but "made up" that is a Liverpudlian expression, that you did. It proves your good grasp of English. It also proves there is a gaping difference between American version of English and the real thing!

The first sentence is great, I would never have thought of it as, in England a Mystery Shopper is a person employed by an agency to help companies(Corporates) deliver better customer service. The MS has a script to work from and enters the establishment and marks the level of service received..

Semi-detached here in UK, would immediately bring to mind a house which is attached to the next door house. i.e houses are detached, semi-detached,town house, terraced etc.

Mis-spelling of account but often happens.

A Goth , is as described by blouen (sorry to bring the subject up blouen ) I am also a Christian but I was trying to think of a word that NearThere had not come across. The Adams family are Goths and I guess the Ozzy Osbourne and his daughter can be classed in a similar way.

Now I have a better idea of your level of English I will have a rethink and supply a further selection of words.

In the meantime, rural and urban may have a different meaning in American English, not too sure. Can you define them? Please forgive me if I supply words which maybe basic to you.

Regards,

2. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Wow, stilo, thanks for that feedback. But I have a feeling that you might have overpraised my understanding of English.

Now I see I didn't quite understand these 2 words: "mystery shopper" and "semi-detached". I didn't looked up "mystery" nor "shopper" for I'd learned them in their seperate and basic sense. Therefor I put 2 together, viola! that's what I came up. And as for "semi-deteched", initially I felt it had more of a physical sense, but I had a hard time incoprating it into my paragraph, so I twisted it a little bit. And sorry about "goth" in the paragraph, after learning the real implication from Bleoun, the last part of the story seemed rediculous.

My English is not representive of American English, cause I"m still learning general English, and learning it in my own way (don't have a teacher or anything). I most certainly don't have any opinions on urban or rural English, cause I don't even know there are such distinctions. Last, you're not offending me in any way with the words you gave, I felt very lucky to have someone who's gracious to help me. Thanks again

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Wow! I'm learning to love this thread afterall. I'd say NearThere has a huge understanding of English( but usually jumble word spellings).
    Sometimes I see that basing all our understanding on the dictionary is somewhat frustrating for they usually appear differently in execution with what we comprehended it to be. With this, I think it's better to, yes, check the dictionary and to look for several examples in writing. Well, just to have the absolute understanding of the word and not simply shooting in the dark and writing ohh so miserable sentences. We non-natives are usually victims of this, even some natives I think. And I'd like to join you NearThere with your activity here.

Why don't you also try giving me some 5 words today? If you will!
    And let's ask our friend, Stilo, to proofread it for us.

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Heeha!! Blueon, welcome to the bandwagon! (that's the right phrase, right?)

Sure I'll give you words that I have hard time grasping the meanings of, therefore unable to use them as confidently.

Here some 5:

patronize
    flighty
    earnest
    precarious
    encumber

But do know that whatever you write, I may not be in the position to give you feedback. You can not ask a toddler barely learning to walk to dance for you.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

I think I you will make a good learning partner, NearThere!

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

And how about, you too come up with a paragraph out of the five words you gave me. We do this together, what do you think?

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Sure, Bluoen, I'll be your partner so long you are sure you've picked the right one.

I'll come back with a paragraph later tonight (central mountain time), the girl have to cook some food you know.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Smile Re: I can't do it on my own

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    patronize
    flighty
    earnest
    precarious
    encumber
    Here's my paragraph:

On the way home, I stopped off the newly established mall to lighten up my head a bit. I strolled in the lobby and up the escalator. I noticed a tinted room, with walls painted with colored balls and letters B-I-N-G-O inscribed on it. A little nosey myself, I stepped closer to investigate and saw a multitude of flighty people from all walks devotedly patronizing a precarious game of chance. All earnestly wanted gain. But their pursuit was encumbered by their own delusion of accumulating greater cash from an unpredictable source, I said talking to myself.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    Sure, Bluoen, I'll be your partner so long you are sure you've picked the right one.

I'll come back with a paragraph later tonight (central mountain time), the girl have to cook some food you know.
    Thank you very much! I have been waiting for someone to learn with here for a very long spell. Now I found one. And I just that knew she's a girl( I never figured that our earlier). I thought only men could have such an earnest desire to learn systematically. I thought wrong again.

My paragraph's done, so it's your turn to make one. I'll think of another set of words then.

Hmmmm.....

* twitch
    * painstaking
    * arcane
    * myriad
    * drudgery

I picked these words in random. They may not be too difficult to use but they're not very common to me.

10. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I
    thought only men could have such an earnest desire to learn systematically.
    Hmm, that sounds sexist to me. Are you a male or female?

Awsome paragraph! You're not expecting me to make comments on it right? I wouldn't even know how to start.

Now it brings me to wonder if there's a way to sillicit help from others for opinions and suggestions, or "scrutnies" in my case. Any ideas? anyone?!

There are 3 out of the 5 that I don't know or haven't used, it's a challenge but I'll take it, just give me time. Oh by the way, mispelling is my nother name. If you see any, feel free to point out and correct.

Page 2 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last