• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I can't do it on my own

Stilo: I will look at your submissions this evening and will comment on them if that is acceptable.
    Acceptable? Are you kidding? I've been begging for someone to critique and correct my "submissions" (odd word, as if I'm giving up myself for sth/someone). Gosh, you're God-sent. Thanks a gazillion! By the way there're 2 other paragraphs I've done so far using words given by Bleoun.

By the way NearThere, with regard to rural and urban I was not referring to English, that is dialect. I have more of a northern dialect as I lived in Liverpool and Manchester but I am now a southerner, and as such, should speak better English, or so the southerners think!
    I'm learning new thing every day. Sorry I can't given any insights in regards to American English rural or urban-wise. But there is this kind of language that's pretty "street", if you wish. For instant: "You are DA man!", "Bro, why u messin' with my Byaatch?", that sort of thing. They don't bother with the "th" sound as in "this" rather go by "d", and truncate the pronounciation of the "ing" half way, say it half-ass (pardon my language). I wince every time I hear people talk that way, and about kill myself when hearing my fellow Chinese mimic such dialect.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

2. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Stilo: Have either of you found out how to receive notifications when a reply has been posted?
    I don't know since I'm so new, I wonder if Bloeun knows. The thing I do to track for replies from others is click on the "My Posts" under the catagory "What's happening now.." on the left hand side of my screens. It doesn't bring me straight to where I want, but it narrows down to fewer posts, and it's easier to manuever thru than the massive front page of the forum.

By the way, are there any new 5 words you wish to give me?

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    I don't know since I'm so new, I wonder if Bloeun knows. The thing I do to track for replies from others is click on the "My Posts" under the catagory "What's happening now.." on the left hand side of my screens. It doesn't bring me straight to where I want, but it narrows down to fewer posts, and it's easier to manuever thru than the massive front page of the forum.

By the way, are there any new 5 words you wish to give me?
    The notification thing, as far as I know, is in your profile. But it sends you an e-mail to your e-mail add for notification... That's what I do as well, check on the "My Posts" to check threads you've posted on, and the responses too... I think there's no other way.

5 new words:

adamant
    abecedarian
    auxiliary
    augment
    affront

5 A's this time...

4. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Good afternoon NearThere and Blouen

Thanks for the information, I think I have mastered how to gain access to your replies now. I will look at how to arrange e-mails as that, I am sure, will be quicker.

You are both doing well but can I suggest something?

I guess the point of this excercise, which I am really happy to take part in, is to ensure that you both know the meaning of the words and their different usage. Rather than look the word up in a dictionary and scratch your head trying to put it to use together with the other words to make a paragraph, why don't we change thaings? Use the words in an individual sentence or sentences, as many as you need to show that you understand the meaning of the word and its correct usage.The other way, i consider, is not helpingin the matter indended. Both of you have used a word, correct as far as the meaning is concerned, that would never be used in that manner. I will reply to you individually in this regard.

The fact that NearThere was concerned with my use of submission personifies this. Submission, you are correct NearThere, can mean to submit oneself,the act of being submissive. You can, however submit a piece of work and that work becomes your submission. Oh how my brain hurts, especially as this is my second attempt, the first failed to send as it appears I was not logged in!!! Stupid me.

Also, costructive, I hope, using a word like abecedarian that is not in common use. I do not think it is worth using such a "non-usage" words. Can we substitute it with ambivalent. Arcane is another word that Blouen listed for NearThere, I have, to the best of my knowledge, never used or heard my large circle of literary friends using. The dictionary meaning is secret, but
    we use secret, good word why use anything different?.

Why don't you choose words that you have heard but are unsure of their usage. I think NearThere did start in this way.

Hope this helps, I will reply to you both shortly I need a break!

5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks Stilo, you just saved me from Blouen's panic-inducing 5 words. I was about to ask him if they come with a bottle of Tylenol (painkiller, most effective on headache). Thinking it would only be fair that I have to return the favor of the same calibre. Oh, how things would escalate. (I am stating this in humor, in case Blouen thinks I'm picking on him. Hey pal, I'm just giving you a hard time )

I couldn't agree with you more Stilo. My initial suggestion came about after great consideration on any willing tutor as well as my limits. And I was also shooting for "longevity". Building vocabulary has always been my problem, I learn it in the dictionary one day then it escapes me the next day and never comes back. (Shoot, my nose just bled!) I know the best way for me to remember new words is learn them in contexts, the bigger the better. Stories seem to prove most effective to me, the words come alive and the story help to cement them down in my head. But I also want to keep the project interesting enough for the potential tutor so that he/sh would stick around long enough to make the challenge successful. Thus the diea.

I would take whatever method that makes most sense, and I believe Blouen would agree to it too. Thanks wholeheartedly for your feedback Stilo. I am in your debt (Is that a correct phrase?, somehow it feels 19 century or sth).

6. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi NearThere So glad that you have come back. It was getting a bit pointless, both of you have enough vocabulary to learn without wasting your time on meanless words.

If you are looking for longevity (good word) I have the time and energy to spare, and enjoy "teaching". I am not a teacher but have passed a on-line,Teaching English as a Foreign Language, course complete with the business english module.
    I am not to sure of the use of "shooting" I would like to use "looking for" but as you used a shortened version of the word with your nose bleed I assume it is an American expression.
    Your original idea was good, read a story or newpaper and any word or expression that you are not sure of or you think can be used in a different context, go ahead and use it in a sentence or several sentences and I will come back with a constructive comment. If you want to do this between yourself and Blouen I am equally as happy.Please do not try to put all the words in one paragraph.

I am in your debt, is a good expressio. No one would take it as being 19th century, just a polite expression and we like polite!
    I would, as you say, abandon your Webster's dictionary and just read, read, read and submit!!!!!!

Back to constructive critism.

Robust fine, we do not often use it in terms of a relationship, but meaning strong it can be used. Machinery can be robust it is a harder metallic type meaning, a relationship is more "fluffy/softer"

Redemption as above, but in your sentence perhaps forgiveness would have been more applicable. We use redemption more in the sence of redeeming i.e buying back. You ask for a redemption figure if you are intending to payback a commercial loan.

Retaliate. Yes perfect use NearThere Gold star for that one! Use on instead of for. You pay the mortgage on a property not for a property.

Restitution Yes that's fine means compensation for the loss of something. "Maybe some jail time" should be "maybe spend some time in jail".

Renegade, this is the difficulty of trying to put all the words in the same paragraph. One, it takes time to think up a good piece and then the danger of using the literal meaning. Renegade is a deserter, a rebel a turncoat but you would possibly renage on their dream i.e fail to keep to a dream .

Their is spelt this way not thier. The way you can remember is always use i after e except after c. Their .... Recieve

NearThere hope this all helps and is useful. I will continue and look forward to your reply and comments.

Best of luck, hope your nose bleed has stopped, but lay off the tablets, not always good for you! Bye Bye for now.

Oh by the way why I was asking about rural and urban was not about the language but I agree I hate "Street language" it was more the meaning, but it maynot be used in the US. Here most youngsters appear to get it wrong.

Urban is something pertaining to the town ie Foxes are becoming more and more urban.
    Rural is pertaining to the countryside. i.e. I would prefer to move to a more rural area.

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

First time I found myself lost for words! I am a little emotional right now (sniff, sniff). I have been struck with flue, they said it's a new strain of virus, that's why I was a little absent yesterday. But I think I need to spend more time in bed than on the net in order to beat it.

Thank you so much for you precious talent, energy and time, I couldn't have asked for more. I copied down the part of your post concerning any corrections on my submissioins and save it to my hard drive. Thank you again.

I will come back with sentences using words that I'm not sure of or have yet to learn later tonight (central mountain time). I feel like I'm moving on to a new chapter of a book.

8. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

NearThere Great, I am glad to be of help. Sorry to hear you may have flu. Take yourself off to bed until you feel better. It is no good trying to fight it, it doesn't work. When you are better, do a bit of reading and we will take it from there.

Night night.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Smile Re: I can't do it on my own

Checking in....

I'm back guys! I think Stilo's idea is great. It would save us some time in thinking out where to fit in those new words that we've got to our paragraphs. Whew, that would save us a lot more sweat.

Hmmm, so where do we start?

Anybody would like to give me some 5 new words?

Oh, Stilo, I also wrote one paragraph out there somewhere. Could you please critic it for me. I want to know if I really did it right. Thanks!!!

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Talking Re: I can't do it on my own

Oh I think I misunderstood the whole conversation here.
    I need to think out my own five sentences, right?

Okay, okay, I'm reading the prequel of Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, now. I think I'd come up with some new words to work on with later.

Page 4 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last