• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I can't do it on my own

This forum has proven to be addictive. Does anyone feel the same way?

Stilo, here are some of the words that I have looked up and not sure of:

trifle (adj.): I hope she understand what she's in for, for the instructor doesn't put up with trifle behaviors in class.

attribute (v.): I would attribute his poor vision to heavy viewings of questionable videos in his younger years. (I'm being unnecessarily creative here, that's what came to mind at this point)

breach (v.): It's hard to believe what you say anymore, you have breached my trust.

presumptuous: Overly confident girl like her can be easily presumptuous, she would have to change her usual attitude plus she's not his type as far as I'm concerned.

pundit: His success is he knows how surround himself with a group of pundits. (?!)

excrete: There's something odd about her. She sleeps warm at night, so much so that she excrets sweat excessively which she explains to be her way of exfoliating or detoxing to keep healthy. (another undisciplined creative thinking, sorry if this repulses you)

incumbent (adj): Holding community conferences to educate the public about internet crime is incumbent to the General Attorney.

The last word is an unlikey word for my level of vocabulary, but I happened upon it today in the newspaper, thought I'd play with it a little. I have the least confidence in it. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Blouen Welcome back.

You've got it. Work on words that are in general use, some may have different meanings in different contexts. If you think theis is so, write several different sentences displaying their meanings in context.

Sorry I have not come back to comment on your paragraphs. I will revisit them and come back to you this evening.

Good luck, keep reading

3. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Near There Guess you feel better.

Great words, even the last incumbent and at a glance great use.

As with Blouen I will print off and have a closer look and come back this evening,

Yes I feel this is getting adictive.

4. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Dear NearThere,There are some definitions and proper examples of sentences concerning the word “trifle”

tri‧fle
    1 a trifle formal slightly
    a trifle eccentric/odd/unexpected etc
    2 [countable] old-fashioned something unimportant or not valuable:
    There's no point in arguing over trifles.
    3 [uncountable and countable]DF a cold British sweet dish made of layers of cake, fruit, jelly, custard, and cream

trifle2
    trifle with somebody/something phrasal verb
    to treat someone or something without respect or not in a serious way:
    He's not a man to be trifled with.
    men who trifle with women's affections

tri‧fling (adjective) but not “trifle”
    unimportant or of little value:
    a trifling sum
    matters of trifling importance
    this is not trifling matter

a trifle (idiom)
    1. Very little; somewhat: a trifle stingy.
    The PC seemed a trifle unnerved playing to a full house.
    Schiehallion is simple and quick to the point of disappointment, winter is a trifle harder.
    The piano sound is good, if a trifle harsh of tone in places.
    I was a trifle nervous when I remembered all the films I'd seen about weddings.
    So Belinda was saying that the market's a trifle depressed at the moment.
    The weight of bureaucracy still hangs a trifle heavy.
    I jogged round in 23.2 seconds, a trifle faster than Simmone Jacobs ran in the women's event.

Do you know something about the term collocation?

Behavior

Abnormal behavior, asocial behavior, criminal behavior, diplomatic behavior, disciplined behavior, disruptive behavior, inconsiderate behavior, inexcusable behavior, infantile behavior, irrational behavior, model behavior, modest behavior, neurotic behavior, normal behavior, obsequious behavior, promiscuous behavior, provocative behavior, ruthless behavior, scandalous behavior, scurrilous behavior, strange behavior, sullen behavior, undiplomatic behavior, undisciplined behavior, unorthodox behavior, unruly behavior, unsportsmanlike behavior.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 28-Feb-2008 at 20:22.

5. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks ALOT, vil.!! Where were teachers like you back when I was in school?

Vil: Do you know something about the term collocation?
    No. Grammar overwhelms me, that's one of my weaknesses when learning English at school, and still is. Grammar and I have never been friends and we didn't hang around much. But now I'll try to get to know him or her better if he/she promises to not come down too hard on me.

So what about collocaton? (I'm feeling a chill going down my spine)

Behavior

Abnormal behavior, asocial behavior, criminal behavior, diplomatic behavior, disciplined behavior, disruptive behavior, inconsiderate behavior, inexcusable behavior, infantile behavior, irrational behavior, model behavior, modest behavior, neurotic behavior, normal behavior, obsequious behavior, promiscuous behavior, provocative behavior, ruthless behavior, scandalous behavior, scurrilous behavior, strange behavior, sullen behavior, undiplomatic behavior, undisciplined behavior, unorthodox behavior, unruly behavior, unsportsmanlike behavior.
    Is that scary or what?!

6. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Good evening NearThere

Well what can I add to Vil's reply with regard to the first word Trifle I think that has been covered quite substantially. The only thing I would say in the context you used the word trifling should have been used i.e trifling behaviour not behaviours. I think in American English the u is missed out.
    I would have used the phrase Don't trifle with my emotions (verb)

Attribuute Good correct use but "heavy viewings" Heavy is not the right word to use, better to say "to watching to many questionable videos"

Breach Yes great useage breached my trust is perfect

Presumptious reverse easily be with be easily and that sentence is fine

Pundit Yes fine. Another sentence is The pundits say that our sales/profits will be increased by 50% year on year

Excrete/s Yes we will put that down to creative thinking shall we? She sleeps warm is however, not correct. Perhaps she gets hot at night, so....

Incumbent Yes Have confidence this is the correct usage. Means compulsory.

You have done well Near There.

Can you distinguish between Empathy and Sympathy? There is a very subtle difference?

Speak again soon, take care

7. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Good evening Blouen

Constructive critism on your paragraph , as requested. It is hard to include all the words in the paragraph but we have sorted that problem. Here goes just a few points.

"Newly established mall" maybe better to say "recently opened" or "newly built" "new mall" Established is incorrect as it contridicts the word "new" It can't be new and be established.

"To lighten up my head"? Should be either "to lighten my mood" or "to clear my head"

Colored balls in English spealt Coloured Maybe American-English spelling.

A litttle nosey myself should read Being nosey,

Multitude of flighty people, in most cases flighty is used is describe a single person i.e that girl is a bit flighty

Last but not least encumbered in your sentence hampered would be better.

I would use encumbered in an entilrely different way, with a different meaning, The house was encumbered (this meaning restricted) i.e the house comes with the job i.e a vicarage, school house with a caretaker (janitor?). New loans can be encumbered by means of an existing mortgage.

You did very well, but would be easier not having to put all the words into one paragraph and believe me it is easier to correct ,than to think up the meanings, and put them into a sentence.
    I do hope this helps.

8. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

THANK YOU SO MUCH, STILO. You know what I do with the information--straight to the hard drive.

I happen to know these word "empathy" and "sympathy". I watch "Operah" and "Dr.Phil". They're are big on these kind of words.

I'm using my own words to explain to show how I understand them.

empathy: the action of feeling and imagining how the other person feels, putting yourself in their shoes (right phrase)

sympathy: that you feel for others in sorrow, grief...etc.

How did I do?

Next time I'll bring an apple for you.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Smile Re: I can't do it on my own

Quote Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
    Good evening Blouen
    It helps a lot, thanks!

Well, it's my first time to meet Mr.Encumber. I don't know where to place him. With Ms.Color, yes, I prefer the American spelling. I'm more immersed in American English than with it's British counterpart, except for the King James Old (British) English though. I prefer that version for my Bible. I'll keep those constructive criticisms in mind. I'll keep them more than a chicken would keep her chicks.(Dreaming to be Mr.Good Writer)

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

NearThere, Hi there!

I haven't listed a chunk of words now from the book I'm reading but I'm not in the mood to write, or think, some sentences now. I'm quite tied up with something too. See you around!

Page 5 of 8 First 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last