• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: I can't do it on my own

Attention: I’m not a teacher

Hi NearThere,

collocation = an arrangement or juxtaposition of words or other elements, especially those that commonly co-occur, as rancid butter, bosom buddy, dead serious or trifling behavior.

The quoted from me examples concerning “behavior” were in no danger for you. On the contrary, they should help you understand in practice the point of the matter of the term collocation. (Please, see the well-judged Stilo’s amendments below.)

Regards.

V.

2. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi There pals NearThere and Blouen hope you are resting!

NearThere.... perfect definition of the two words, I congratulate you, I could not have done better!!!. It is good to see that you have not been wasting your time watching Operah and Dr Phil!

Blouen

You will have to give me some licence if I correct the spelling of a word that is correct in American-English. Both of you will be using American so it is right that you spell that way, it is just a pity that there is a difference, is it not?.

By the way how do you become a Key Member? Is it judged on the amount of posts,content,replies? I would be interested, I have just noticed that it is possible to make a donation to help run the site. I do think it is all very worthwhile.

Regards to you both. I do it for love not for gain NearThere, your thanks is reward enough, hard to send an apple!!!!!

3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Vil:Attention: I’m not a teacher
    Yes, you are to me. Thank you for complete explanations on both the meaning and usage of the word "trifle". I can't believe how much learn on this site everytime I come visit. It's just unbelievable!

Stilo: NearThere.... perfect definition of the two words, I congratulate you, I could not have done better!!!. It is good to see that you have not been wasting your time watching Operah and Dr Phil!
    I know I know, "Operah" and "Phil" are my guilty pleasures. I don't always watch their shows, depending on the mood I'm in that day. If I wanna feel good about myself by watching how others messed up thier lives by choice, then I watch Phil. It's evil, isn't it? Fortunately I didn't have to do that alot. But hey, at least I learned those 2 words from them.

As for how to become a key member, I have no clue. I'm guessing what you were guessing. That the system will upgrade your status once you hit a posting "quota"? I'm not sure. But maybe we can ask the moderator or the senior members like Angelika or some Tod or Bob guy, they have to know.

STilo: Regards to you both. I do it for love not for gain NearThere
    Brought tears to my eyes! Did you just use the word "love"?!

And:

Blouen: I haven't listed a chunk of words now from the book I'm reading but I'm not in the mood to write, or think, some sentences now. I'm quite tied up with something too. See you around!
    I was wondering where you had been? I thought maybe you had turned your back on me. Yeah yeah, just act busier than I am, I buy that!...................You know I'm just kidding, right?

4. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Here's more homework tuned in. Hit me with great criticism, I can take alot!

infinite: Everyone can come to the event, it's an infinite invitation. (what I'm trying to convey is that the invitation is open for everyone)

vacillate: He doesn't convey enough confidence to lead to me, for he seems to vacillate when being confronted with voces of different opinions.

amicable: I would describe his relationship with his ex-wife as amicable.

amiable: It's easy to be around her, she has this amiable nature that puts you at ease in an instance.

formidable: She is apparently a formidable contender, but that's the reason why people turned away from her.

ambivalent: The convication brought on a wave of ambivalent emotions in people in the community.

self-deprecate: Coming from a highly critial upbringing, he tends to be self-deprecating even when the performance is supreme.

edify: She has done a great deal of humanitarian work, but to think or appear to think that we, as the public, are edified by her notion of "give big" seems a little self-promoting. (does this remind you of someone?)

encumber: His mother's constant criticism encumbers his desire to do well at school.

plight: She's reaching out for someone to rescue her from her plight.

5. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

NearThere What happened to the five words?????

I havn't much time to spend just now as I was just about to log off but just checked to see if you two had been around. I will look at it tomorrow.

See you pal

6. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

attention: I'm not a teacher!

Dear NearThere,

I don’t want to intrude into your affairs, but I am distinguished for my exceptional immoderate character and my unbridled tongue.

In my humble opinion you forget very persistently observing of the collocation’s agreement. Your combination of words “infinite invitation” offended my “subtle” ear. It’s a good horse that never stumbles. Please excuse my judicial faculty but I couldn’t contain myself when I saw this unacceptable for me pun.

There are some more examples concerning the usage of the “invitation” and “infinite”. I know a cordial invitation, a kind invitation, a formal invitation, an informal invitation, an open invitation, but I don’t know “infinite invitation”. Maybe I’m wrong. I'm looking forward to hearing the judgment of the NES'.

The Queen Mother was always my favorite after that first invitation to play before her," he said.
    Hazel and Steven Williams extend a cordial invitation to you to visit their nursery in unspoilt Flaxton …
    Please touch and enjoy" is the open invitation on every piece in our showroom….please come and see,…
    If by chance you have already visited Craigendarroch under the terms of this special invitation, I very much regret that we are unable to make…
    Return the enclosed free trial invitation today and SAVE £13.25.
    The Lygon Arms extends a special welcome to National Trust members with an exclusive invitation to stay at the hotel and depart with a case of specially selected wine from…
    Our holidays all include a special invitation to join us for coffee at our Saturday morning welcome party.
    But as you know this is almost a direct invitation and we could actually respond to this in terms of an invitation and ask other groups if….
    This was, of course, an open invitation to trivial forms of corruption and bribery, and the decisions, however reached,….
    ….a dramatic invitation to insubordinated heroics.

infinite strength, infinite number, infinite operands, infinite sequence, infinite amount, infinite range, infinite time, infinite distance, infinite stiffness, infinite time, infinite impedance, infinite singularity, infinite ladder, infinite respectively, infinite length, infinite input impedance, infinite period, infinite set of functions, infinite rate, infinite variety, infinite combination, infinite custom possibilities, infinite entertainment and shopping possibilities, infinite regress, infinite branching capabilities, infinite possibilities, infinite opportunities, infinite flexibility, …

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 01-Mar-2008 at 16:57.

7. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Stilo: NearThere What happened to the five words?????
    Haha....., I thought I was trying to be deligent, a quality that I lacked when I was younger, I guess I overcompensated it huh?!

Vil: In my humble opinion you forget very persistently observing of the collocation’s agreement. Your combination of words “infinite invitation” offended my “subtle” ear. It’s a good horse that never stumbles. Please excuse my judicial faculty but I couldn’t contain myself when I saw this unacceptable for me pun
    I'm very sorry Vil that I have offended you ear. Surely you must forgive me. I learn best, not from what I do right, rather from what I do wrong...namely mistakes. Painful way to learn, but most effective for me. Yes, from now on I would not dare so carelessly handle the word "infinite", rather would hold a knife to my neck everytime I'm given the delecate opportunity to use it and remember that someone in the world would find it offensive if I don't incorporate the concept of "collacation" when constructing a sentence. (By the way, I have to make clear that I do make a lot of mistakes in spelling, just a heads-up for you)

Dang! you are harsh, aren't you. But that's OK, I'm a humble learner. I will at this moment deligently look the word "collacation" up, and try very hard to understand the benifite of "collocation agreement".

8. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Near There Hi

Please don't get disillusioned, the collocations will come without thinking eventually, getting too bogged down with them will hamper your progress.

infinite enough said much simpler to use "open invitation".
    We bought the house because it had infinate possibilities.
    = boundless/countless
    She has infinite patience with me.
    =unending/immense/unmeasurable/unlimited

vacillate Not a word I use on a regular basis I would have kept to waiver but there are a few words that are superflous. You do not need "to lead me" (I think the context of the sentence would identify his relatonship to you. but you could say "as a leader") use a comma and then miss out" for",he seems to (waiver) when being confronted with differing opinions. "voces of"/correct "voices (of)"is not required.

amicable = Good use

amiable = Good use better to subsitute "this amiable" with an amiable

formidable = Again good use

ambivalent =Yes good use

self-deprecate don't like this word, should'nt be in the dictionary but as far as it goes you have used it correctly

edify I think personally I would have used "enlightened

encumber look back Blouen had not come accross the word I did give him some tips on useage. In your sentence hampers sounds better.

plight = Great use

Well that's it for tonight. Speak again soon By Happy

9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Stilo: Please don't get disillusioned, the collocations will come without thinking eventually, getting too bogged down with them will hamper your progress.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Again, thanks for the critiques. I'm really feeling I can learn a lot on this site, something I had not expected when I first joined this community. Not trying to be cheesy but I feel blessed.

But what on earth has Blouen been up to? He just kind of disappeared.

10. Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Hi NearThere

Don't know what has happened to Blouen, hope he will be back soon.
    I am on holiday in the Gulf, for two weeks starting Saturday 8th, so if I go quiet you will know where I am.

I am staying with my family, at my brother's villa, which means I should be able to keep in touch.

Keep reading and doing your homework, mate, hope Blouen gets in touch.

Page 6 of 8 First ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Last