1. The W.R. McNairs

Smile Second Masters in ESL Education?

Ask a Teacher: Dear English, Linguistics, ESL, or related Educator,

We hold non-education BS/BA and MSN degrees. We are a husband and wife seeking either a second Masters, or possibly a quality post graduate certification in ESL, to teach in PRC (with the additional possibly for one of us for teaching ESL in the USA , since the other is presently Nursing Faculty at a University)

(1) Please explain the relative possibility of obtaining a second masters degree or post graduate certificate in ESL from an accredited college without an English degree.
    (We are Advanced Practice Nurses with a B.A. Anthropology, B.S. in Liberal Studies, and both hold MSN degrees from an accredited state university)

(2) If much coursework were required prior to admission to a post graduate program,
    What are the best ESL credentialling providers? (Ultimate goal is for teaching Adult, college, or highschool students English as a second language.)

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Re: Second Masters in ESL Education?

Last time I looked the PRC was fairly easy on requirements for TESOL. I think the nursing connection could be used very well. I'd look for a job teaching English in a Nursing University. Try to find out what PRC colleges teach nursing and query them directly on their requiremnts and needs.
    Good luck!