ESl for 10 yr old Hebrew sudents

Hi,

I am tutoring three 10 year old ESL stduents in Israel. They need help with the verb to be, basic prepositions, and perhaps opposites - which would be a fun way to practise am/are/is. One of them appears to me to have an LD, as he finds it difficult to distinguish d,b,p,g,q,m,n,u. My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic so I think Irecognize the pattern. Most of the exercises I have seen here are I think, too advanced for these kids. ANy advice on where to find suitable materials? I am a volunteer tutor and only see them for 45 minutes once a week, so I doubt much can be accomplished - but they are very sweet and they try hard!

THanks for any hlep.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: ESl for 10 yr old Hebrew sudents

I have not found textbooks for Hebrew speakers. I believe you can create visual aids and lesson plans for your topics. One simple way is to help the student ask questions, and demonstrate the different answer you get when you change the verb form of the be verb.
    Where are you from? What do you do? What are you doing? Materials for preposition are easy to make. All you need is an object and a box. I have handled above, below, in, on, under, and beside in this manner. One funny example was "The rabbit is in the toilet" involved a toy rabbit doll and a paper toilet.
    You know much more than I do about LD. Sorry, I cannot help you there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I am from Canada, and living in Israel for three months. I am, by profession, a communicaions manager with the Government of Canada, but many years ago I did BA in Eng Lang and Lit. I figured volunteering with these kids would give me something fun to do while I am here. It's a beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by aesp43 View Post
    Hi,

I am tutoring three 10 year old ESL stduents in Israel. They need help with the verb to be, basic prepositions, and perhaps opposites - which would be a fun way to practise am/are/is. One of them appears to me to have an LD, as he finds it difficult to distinguish d,b,p,g,q,m,n,u. My son is dyslexic and dysgraphic so I think Irecognize the pattern. Most of the exercises I have seen here are I think, too advanced for these kids. ANy advice on where to find suitable materials? I am a volunteer tutor and only see them for 45 minutes once a week, so I doubt much can be accomplished - but they are very sweet and they try hard!

THanks for any hlep.
    I think you can give a Veber game.I mean:when you tell your students one veber english word.and you can ask next student to say"another verb word".Frist is your turn after your next ture after next,next turu....or you can play another game with them or you can made pictures to show them.....