Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    GUEST2008 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638

    can is/is can - inversion

    Hi everyone!

    There's the sentence: I know the answer should be "might," but why "can" is incorrect? Is it better to write "...but why is "can" incorrect?"

    thanks

  2. #2
    heidita's Avatar
    heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: can is/is can - inversion

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    Hi everyone!

    There's the sentence: I know the answer should be "might," but why "can" is incorrect? Is it better to write "...but why is "can" incorrect?"

    thanks
    The only correct sentence is the second one: why is can incorrect?

    Can takes the function of the subject in this case.

  3. #3
    GUEST2008 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: can is/is can - inversion

    Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    The only correct sentence is the second one: why is can incorrect?

    Can takes the function of the subject in this case.
    So, the word "can" is like Peter, for example.

    Why is Peter at home? instead of Why Peter is at home?

    Right?

    thanks

  4. #4
    heidita's Avatar
    heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,437

    Re: can is/is can - inversion

    Quote Originally Posted by GUEST2008 View Post
    So, the word "can" is like Peter, for example.

    Why is Peter at home? instead of Why Peter is at home?

    Right?

    thanks
    Hi guest, probably you are confused with the indirect/reported speech.

    He asked: Why is can incorrect?
    he asked why can was incorrect.

    But this is not the case here as the question is direct: I understand that he is a busy man but why is Peter not at home at this time of night?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •