Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,719
    #11

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman 36 View Post
    Hi

    I heard "more strict" the other day and it sounded a little odd.

    The rule goes that if you have a single syllable adjective, then add "er".

    As "strict" fits that description, I'd go with "stricter".
    Absolutely correct, whatever anyone may say to the contrary, the rule is as you say.(with the obvious exceptions of good, bad, far)
    Last edited by RonBee; 25-Jan-2009 at 03:31. Reason: fix link


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 1
    #12

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Actually the prescriptive "more strict" is used far more. If you google the two to see how often they are used, you get over 5.3 million for it, and only 820,000 for "stricter".


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    #13

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    I think, 'very strict' sounds a lot better than the two...

    ie. 'My mother is a very strict person compare to my father.'

    But, I would use stricter in the following sentence:

    'My mother is a lot stricter compare to my father'.

    Also,

    'My mother is more strict when my father isn't around.

  2. Trance Freak's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 655
    #14

    Cool Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    I think, 'very strict' sounds a lot better than the two...

    ie. 'My mother is a very strict person compare to my father.'

    But, I would use stricter in the following sentence:

    'My mother is a lot stricter compare to my father'.

    Also,

    'My mother is more strict when my father isn't around.
    Why come up with ungrammatical explanations when it is obvious that "strict" is a short adjective. Therefore, the comparative form of this adj is simply "stricter" & its superlative form is "the strictest."
    "More strict" is
    Otherwise, "beautifuler" would be correct.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    #15

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Trance Freak View Post
    Why come up with ungrammatical explanations when it is obvious that "strict" is a short adjective. Therefore, the comparative form of this adj is simply "stricter" & its superlative form is "the strictest."
    "More strict" is
    Otherwise, "beautifuler" would be correct.
    huh?

    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly here.

    You wrote that 'more strict is wrong' and you also believe that 'stricter' is also incorrect.

    Obviously, there's no such word as 'beautifuler'. However, you can say,
    "she is more beautiful than..."

    By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm no expert in English. I'm just a learner.
    Last edited by Jimmy08; 22-Dec-2009 at 10:35.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 570
    #16

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Would I be right in clarifying the general consensus here?

    'Strict' 'stricter' 'strictest' - correct

    'Strict' 'more strict' 'most strict' - correct

    Which you say is up to you. Generally, American English goes for the suffix, British English goes for the two word combination. Neither is more or less correct than the other.

  3. Trance Freak's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 655
    #17

    Cool Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    huh?

    I'm not sure if I understood you correctly here.

    You wrote that 'more strict is wrong' and you also believe that 'stricter' is also incorrect.

    Obviously, there's no such word as 'beautifuler'. However, you can say,
    "she is more beautiful than..."

    By the way, I forgot to mention that I'm no expert in English. I'm just a learner.
    NO!!!! stricter is correct!
    + re-read it again, I said if more strict was correct then beautifuler would be correct as well.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 570
    #18

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Trance Freak View Post
    NO!!!! stricter is correct!
    + re-read it again, I said if more strict was correct then beautifuler would be correct as well.
    The rules of language occur after the language is established. There are plenty of words which do not fit the '1 syllable = -er, -est' rule. There are also plently of words which can both be made comparative/superlative by adding the suffixes, or by using 'more __'.

    Indeed, almost all words that use the suffix -er or -est can be said using 'more ___'.

    What makes 'strict' (and whatever other words are posible) able to be both isn't a matter for rules as much as it's a matter for usage. People say 'stricter' and people say 'more strict'. I can assure you that 'more strict' is more common where I am from, and I hear and see both in the media and in writing.


    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 23
    #19

    Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Trance Freak View Post
    NO!!!! stricter is correct!
    + re-read it again, I said if more strict was correct then beautifuler would be correct as well.
    Sorry, I'm a bit slow here...

    I don't understand why you compare "more strict" with "beautifuler". Why don't you compare "more strict" with "more beautiful" instead?

    You believe that "stricter" is correct, but "beautifuler" is incorrect.

  4. Trance Freak's Avatar
    Senior Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 655
    #20

    Cool Re: 'More strict' vs 'stricter'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy08 View Post
    Sorry, I'm a bit slow here...

    I don't understand why you compare "more strict" with "beautifuler". Why don't you compare "more strict" with "more beautiful" instead?

    You believe that "stricter" is correct, but "beautifuler" is incorrect.
    Grammatically speaking, there is no such thing as "more strict" even though it is commonly used. Lots of native speakers make mistakes, even us in our 1st lge. I compared "more strict" to "beautifuler" because the latter is incorrect both syntactically & grammatically.
    beautifuller & beautifuler don't exsist, & neither does "more strict" - again grammatically speaking.

Page 2 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •