1. Unregistered

idioms meaning

Can you help to find the meanings og the following idioms listed below?
    1. a spitting image
    2. a crying shame
    3. a nagging doubt
    4. a saving grace
    5. all the rage
    6. a labor of love
    7. with a vengeance
    8. swallow one's pride
    9. in good/bad faith
    10. a vested interest

I hope that you can help me. Please help me....

Thank YOU!

Re: idioms meaning

1. a spitting image - Looks identical

2. a crying shame - unjust/unfair

3. a nagging doubt - a feeling that something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what
    4. a saving grace - one redeeming feature/ one (the only) good point in his/her/its favour
    5. all the rage - very fashionable at the moment

6. a labor of love -hard work done not for financial or other material gain but simply because you enjoy doing it or sometimes because you feel it should be done.
    7. with a vengeance - often 'came back with a vengence' For example, when an illness seems to go away for a time or starts to get better, but then returns much worse than it was before we say 'It came back with a vengence.'
    8. swallow one's pride - used when you have to admit you were wrong or have to ask someone you don't like for a favour. It means you have to ignore the feeling of shame inside you and go ahead and apologise or ask as the case may be.
    9. in good/bad faith - Usually this is 'in good faith' and it is used when you did something in the mistaken belief that you were doing the right thing at the time.
    10. a vested interest - This means that someone has something to gain from a situation. For example, My colleague is thinking of leaving the company and asks me for advice. I know that if he leaves I will get his job which pays more than mine. I have a vested interest in him leaving the company so I am not the right person to ask for advice inthis situation.

Hope that helps

1. a spitting image - Looks identical

2. a crying shame - unjust/unfair

3. a nagging doubt - a feeling that something is wrong, but you don't know exactly what
    4. a saving grace - one redeeming feature/ one (the only) good point in his/her/its favour
    5. all the rage - very fashionable at the moment

6. a labor of love -hard work done not for financial or other material gain but simply because you enjoy doing it or sometimes because you feel it should be done.
    7. with a vengeance - often 'came back with a vengence' For example, when an illness seems to go away for a time or starts to get better, but then returns much worse than it was before we say 'It came back with a vengence.'
    8. swallow one's pride - used when you have to admit you were wrong or have to ask someone you don't like for a favour. It means you have to ignore the feeling of shame inside you and go ahead and apologise or ask as the case may be.
    9. in good/bad faith - Usually this is 'in good faith' and it is used when you did something in the mistaken belief that you were doing the right thing at the time.
    10. a vested interest - This means that someone has something to gain from a situation. For example, My colleague is thinking of leaving the company and asks me for advice. I know that if he leaves I will get his job which pays more than mine. I have a vested interest in him leaving the company so I am not the right person to ask for advice inthis situation.

Hope that helps

Sorry I didn't mean to post that answer twice. For some reason I was not recognised by the system and had to re login when I tried to pot. The system then returned me to the unposted message and so I reposted it not realising it was already done.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

1. a spitting image--the exact resemblance to someone.
    Eg: My brother is the spitting image of my mother.

2. a crying shame-- a sad or an unfortunate situation.
    Eg: It was a crying shame that he did not get the managerial position.

3. a nagging doubt--a disturbing and uneasy feeling that something is not right.
    Eg: Even though he was pronounced guilty in court, I had a nagging doubt that he was innocent.

4. a saving grace--something that saves someone or something that would otherwise have been an utter disaster.
    Eg:The team's only saving grace was the captain. The game would, otherwise, have been lost.

5. all the rage-to be in current/new fashion.
    Eg: Her new skirt was all the rage throughout the year.

6. a labor of love--something done for personal pleasure and not for the pleasure of money.
    Eg: His teaching is a labor of love and he doesn't expect any pay from doing it.

7. with a vengeance--with determination.
    Eg: The ----- team came out with a vengeance after the break and easily won the game.

8. swallow one's pride--to become humble.
    Eg: He was in deep debt and had to swallow his pride and ask his father for some money.

9. in good/bad faith--honest/bad intentions.
    Eg: Act in good faith and he will believe you.

10. a vested interest--a special interest in an arrangement/something for particular personal reason.
    Eg: As a propreitor of the company, he had a vested interest in making the business run smoothly.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Can you help to find the meanings og the following idioms listed below?
    1. a spitting image :
    to look exactly like someone else
    2. a crying shame :
    A great/terrible shame
    3. a nagging doubt:
    Making you feel doubt all the time
    4. a saving grace:
    The one good thing that makes someone or something acceptable
    5. all the rage:
    (Informal)To be very popular or fashionable
    6. a labor of love:
    Something that is hard work but that you do because you want to
    7. with a vengeance:
    With great force or more effort than before
    8. swallow one's pride:
    To do something even though it is embarrassing for you, because you have no choice
    9. in bad faith:
    If someone does something in bad faith, they are behaving dishonestly and have no intention of keeping a promise
    in good faith:
    When a person, country etc intends to be honest and sincere and does not intend to deceive anyone
    10. a vested interest:
    A strong reason for wanting something to happen because you will gain from it

I hope that you can help me. Please help me....

Thank YOU!
    (Not a teacher)