Sentence correction

Could you tell me what is wrong with this sentence?

While living in a foreign country, it is the best way to watch TV in order to learn the language quickly.

Grammatically, the sentence sounds ok to me. However, according to the student, "it" refers to watching TV. In that case, I feel that the student shouldn't get full points for this sentence. I just have to explain why (which is the part I'm having trouble with). I think it should be:

While living in a foreign country, the best way to learn the language quickly is to watch TV.
    or
    While living in a foreign country, it is best that you watch TV in order to learn the language quickly.

Re: Sentence correction

Quote Originally Posted by raes112 View Post
    Could you tell me what is wrong with this sentence?

While living in a foreign country, it is the best way to watch TV in order to learn the language quickly.

Grammatically, the sentence sounds ok to me. However, according to the student, "it" refers to watching TV. In that case, I feel that the student shouldn't get full points for this sentence. I just have to explain why (which is the part I'm having trouble with). I think it should be:

While living in a foreign country, the best way to learn the language quickly is to watch TV.
    or
    While living in a foreign country, it is best that you watch TV in order to learn the language quickly.
    Here are some sugesstions:

While living in a foreign country, it is a good idea to watch TV in order to learn the language quickly

or

While living in a foreign country, it is best to watch Tv in order to learn the language quickly.

In the original sentence you don't use "it is the best way..." beacuse "it" is referring to something that turns out to be "the best way for watching TV" it does not refer to anything about learning a foreign language but "watching TV"

Re: Sentence correction

Here is another suggestion:

While living in a foreign country, watching TV is the best way to quickly learn the language .

From my understanding of the student's sentence, 'it' refers back to 'living in a foreign country'. So the sentence would imply that the best way to live in a foriegn country is to watch TV.
    Last edited by nateevans7; 28-Feb-2008 at 18:24.