1. Unregistered

using me versus I

I was always taught that you should say "Amy and I" but I just recently heard that you should say "Amy and me". Just wondering which is correct? Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Smile Re: using me versus I

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was always taught that you should say "Amy and I" but I just recently heard that you should say "Amy and me". Just wondering which is correct? Thanks
    It depends entirely on what you are saying. If you are saying that you both went to the theatre, then it would be "Amy and I went to the theatre."

If you are asking someone to come along with you to the theatre, you'd say "Will you come with Amy and me."

There are several ways to tell which is correct. One of the most obvious is to remove the other party entirely. In this case, using the same scenario, you'd say: "I went to the theatre." You would not say, "Me went to the theatre."

Likewise, using the other example, you would not say: "Will you come with I." Therefore, in that sentence "me" is correct.

Hope this helps, a bit! It is one of those things which you have to get into the habit of running through your brain, before engaging the output.

Talking Re: using me versus I

You should use the subject pronoun "I" before the verb and the object pronoun "me" after the verb.