Help with thesis.

Hi! I'm new on the forum. I found out that you're all very helpful. I'm a Polish student and I study English linguistics. I have a tiny problem with my essay, I mean, actually only with the thesis. I have to write an essay on E.A. Poe's works. I've chosen "Murder in Rue Morgue" and I'm obliged to invent some thesis but my mind's empty, I can't make anything up.
    Will you help me, please??

Re: Help with thesis.

Or I can write about Dupin and his deeds.
    'Auguste Dupin as first great detective'
    'Great discoveries of detective Auguste Dupin'
    What do you think about these theses?

Welcome to the forums.

The first of your suggestions looks a good topic. Have you done any research to see what has been written on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

The first of your suggestions looks a good topic. Have you done any research to see what has been written on this?
    Yes, I've done some research. But only including internet. I don't have acces to any library, unfortunately.
    So you're saying that 'Auguste Dupin as first great detective' may be my thesis. That's great then.
    Thank you.

P.S. Any further suggestions?

Hey once again.
    I have already written that essay but I still need some tiny help with one phrase. I know sth is wrong with it. Would you help, please?

The genre of mystery has deep roots, there are seeds of detective writing in biblical texts and also Arabian culture is rich in numerous exhibits of criminological fiction, however, because of Poe’s character in 19th century new genre appeared.

Please!!!!!!
    Last edited by Magdalenaa; 16-Mar-2008 at 18:04.

up!

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalenaa View Post
    Hey once again.
    I have already written that essay but I still need some tiny help with one sentence. I know sth is wrong with it. Would you help, please?

The genre of mystery has deep roots. There are seeds of detective writing in biblical texts and Arabian culture is rich in numerous exhibits examples of criminological fiction [I find this a little difficult to accept on face value - what do you mean by "criminological fiction"?]. However, because of Poe’s character contribution, in the 19th century a new genre appeared.

Please!!!!!!

It needs splitting into three sentences. Also, can you expand on Arabian criminological fiction?

Only one fragment more which needs checking. I promise.

. Auguste Dupin was a forefather of fictional sleuth in its basic elements. Among major features which every contemporary detective is obliged to possess are observation and ability to deep analysis of his remarks. After all, the detective abilities developed as a consequence of world’s progress. And although the basic form has been changed many times, the principles have remained the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdalenaa View Post
    Only one fragment more which needs checking. I promise.

. Auguste Dupin was a forefather[forerunner/early example] of the fictional sleuth in its basic elements [at its most basic level]. Among major features which every contemporary detective is obliged to possess are observation and ability to deep analysis of his remarks [analyse his thoughts in depth]. After all, the detective's abilities developed as a consequence of the world’s progress. And although the basic form has been[delete - not necessary]changed many times, the principles [of what?] have remained the same.
    Some possible changes needed.

Glad to check anything!