• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow "featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes"

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, in the following phrase:"...dreams were usually filled with vivid cognitions, featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes." I've noticed that the last three adjectives are ordered in a way I'm not used to. It would be familiar to me, if it were "......., featuring, fanciful and bizarre scenes.". So, please help me to know why those adectives are written like that, with one comma put after the first two, which they don't have any comma separating them!!
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 03-Mar-2008 at 19:46.

Re: "featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes"

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, in the following phrase:"...dreams were usually filled with vivid cognitions, featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes." I've noticed that the last three adjectives are ordered in a way I'm not used to. It would be familiar to me, if it were "......., featuring, fanciful and bizarre scenes.". So, please help me to know why those adectives are written like that, with one comma put after the first two, which they don't have any comma separating them!!
    There are only two adjectives: fanciful and bizarre.

The scenes [which are fanciful and bizarre] are featuring [forming a major element] within the dreams.

"featuring" is the participle of " to feature".

You seem to have mistaken 'featuring' for an adjective - it is not. It is a verb form. So, while you are correct that three adjectives should be separated by a listing comma and 'and' you are not correct to treat 'featuring' as the third adjective. When there are only two adjectives they are separated by a joining comma.

So

1st adjective, 2nd adjective and 3rd adjective noun

But

verb form 1st adjective, 2nd adjective noun

are correct.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

My original sentence, which I modified to be understandable, is: " By contrast, REM reports were usually filled with vivid cognitions, featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes". For your information, "REM" is the name of one interim periods that sleep consists of. So, from what you both have already said, I understand that " featuring" in this sentence should be seen as" ...., REM reports were featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes". One more thing, the comma between the two adjectives is a substitute for "and". Am I right in all of this?

I query that.

The fanciful, bizarre scenes are part of the vivid cognitions, so your original sentence makes good sense, whereas your second one does not.

Yes - you could replace the comma with "and".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Sorry, you're totally right, "featuring" here belongs to "cognitions". Again, the sentence should be seen as :" ......., REM reports were usually filled with vivid cognitions, which they are featuring fanciul, bizarre scenes.". Ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Egyption Arrow View Post
    ......., REM reports were usually filled with vivid cognitions, which are featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes.". Ok?

Without "they", it's ok, but I still think your first sentence was the best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Lightbulb Re: "featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes"

Look, I've settled on this:" ..., REM reports were usually fiiled with vivid cognitions, (were) featuring fanciful, bizarre scenes.". That is, "featuring", as well as"filled", belongs to "reports". I can get it all as "these reports have vivid cognitions presented through fanciful, bizarre scenes".