• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

conditionals. Are these sentences ok?

Hi, Could you help me, please? Thanks.
    Bye Rip.

Are these sentences ok? Do they have the same meaning?

1We wouldn’t have slept in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat

2We wouldn’t have been forced to sleep in in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat

3We shouldn’t have been slept in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about these ones?

4Shouldn’t you check water, oil and tyres before going?

5How long did you stay in Ireland? (A?) Fortnight, but we would have been forced to come back earlier, if we hadn’t found a cheap hotel.

6Has the detective solved the case yet? No, but he hasn’t been able to solve it yet but I am sure he will be able to find out the killer

7 He would have got thet job, if he had spoken German fluently

8 He could have got the job, if he could have spoken German fluently

9 I’, too tire to be able to finish that work. Couldn’t you give me a hand, please? ( Couldn’t you help me, please?)
    10 “Where is Jack? I must talk to him” “I don’t know, but he could (may?) be in the garden”

11 “Why Sam didn’t come to the meeting?” “ He may not (might?) have received the invitation”

12”Did you like the concert?” “Yes, the music was good, but unfortunately I couldn’t ( wasn’t able to?) see anything because of the crowd

13 Can I invite Fanny to the party?” “Yes, but remind her not to wear casual clothes”.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: conditionals. Are these sentences ok?

1We wouldn’t have slept in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat
    OK, but 'wouldn't have had to' sounds better to me.

2We wouldn’t have been forced to sleep in in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat

3We shouldn’t have been slept in an uncomfortable tent, if Jessica had lent (given?) us her flat
    This should be active 'shouldn't have slept'. However, using 'shouldn't' with the meaning 'wouldn't' for the first persons is a bit old-fashioned and mainly found in formal usage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about these ones?

4Shouldn’t you check water, oil and tyres before going?
    the water...

5How long did you stay in Ireland? (A?) Fortnight, but we would have been forced to come back earlier, if we hadn’t found a cheap hotel.
    A fortnight...

6Has the detective solved the case yet? No, but he hasn’t been able to solve it yet but I am sure he will be able to find out the killer
    IMO: find the killer or find out who the killer is/was

7 He would have got thet job, if he had spoken German fluently
    Typo- that/the

8 He could have got the job, if he could have spoken German fluently
    if he had been able

9 I’, too tire to be able to finish that work. Couldn’t you give me a hand, please? ( Couldn’t you help me, please?)
    tired + I'd use 'could you give'

10 “Where is Jack? I must talk to him” “I don’t know, but he could (may?) be in the garden”

11 “Why Sam didn’t come to the meeting?” “ He may not (might?) have received the invitation”
    Why didn't Sam...
    I would use 'may' here as you don't know at the time of speaking

12”Did you like the concert?” “Yes, the music was good, but unfortunately I couldn’t ( wasn’t able to?) see anything because of the crowd
    Both are fine

13 Can I invite Fanny to the party?” “Yes, but remind her not to wear casual clothes”.