Thread: plea

sule_toptas is offline Newbie

plea

what does "take the plea" mean ?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us

Re: plea

"Take the plea" is related to pleading guilty or not guilty.

Could you give the full context since there can be differences in interpretation.

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: plea

Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi sule_toptas,

There are some more definitions and examples concerning the matter in question.

plea (n)
    a request that is urgent or full of emotion
    plea for
    a plea for help
    Caldwell made a plea for donations.
    plea to
    The parents made an emotional plea to their child's kidnappers.

a statement by someone in a court of law saying whether they are guilty or not:
    a guilty plea
    make/enter a plea
    Adams entered a plea of 'not guilty'.

plea bargaining [uncountable]
    SCL when someone agrees to admit in court that they are guilty of one crime, in exchange for not being charged with a more serious crime
    plea an earnest request; an appeal: spoke out in a plea for greater tolerance.

the answer of the accused to a criminal charge or indictment: entered a plea of not guilty.

a special answer depending on or demonstrating one or more reasons why a suit should be delayed, dismissed, or barred in equity law.

If charged with a felony but than take plea for guilty for a misdemeanor is there still a felony on your record?

in this situation the person will only have a misdemeanor on his/her record.

plea-bar·gain
    To make an agreement in which a defendant pleads guilty to a lesser charge and the prosecutor in return drops more serious charges.

plea bargain - (criminal law) a negotiation in which the defendant agrees to enter a plea of guilty to a lesser charge and the prosecutor agrees to drop a more serious charge; "his admission was part of a plea bargain with the prosecutor"; "plea bargaining helps to stop the courts becoming congested"

What is a plea bargain?

Answer

A lesser charge the prosecutors in court offer you.
    So they don’t have to take it to trial.
    Cause it costs the city lots of time and money.
    Should I take the plea bargain?

If I were you I'd reject the plea.

She made a plea bargain, admitting a reduced charge of assault in return for Joe Buttafuoco escaping sex charges.
    His admission was part of a plea bargain with independent counsel (special prosecutor) Lawrence E. Walsh.
    The plea bargain agreed between Exxon, the Justice Department and the state of Alaska.

Regards.

V.