• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Peru
      • Current Location:
      • Peru

Is There A Way To Learn And Understand

HI PLEASE IS THERE SOMEONE WHO COULD TEACH AND SUGGESTS HOW CAN I LEARN TO UNDERSTAND THE LARGE LIST OF PHRASAL VERBS.
    THANKS A LOT
    betoss06+

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Is There A Way To Learn And Understand

Suggestion:

Find some podcasts from the internet, there are lots of them, pick those that are about phrasal verbs and listen to them carefully. ATTENTION: You learn English with your ears, not with your eyes. So, it's a daily work, you have to listen to them for 2 hours a day at last, do it many many times until you feel ready to speak them easily, without thinking, instantaneously. In order to speak it fluently, you have to know it deeply, then, repetition is very important.

Please teachers, correct this text for me, thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    Suggestion:

Find some podcasts from the internet, there are lots of them, pick those that are about phrasal verbs and listen to them carefully. ATTENTION: You learn English with your ears, not with your eyes. So, it's a daily work, you have to listen to them for 2 hours a day at last, do it many many times until you feel ready to speak them easily, without thinking, instantaneously. In order to speak it fluently, you have to know it deeply, then, repetition is very important.

Please teachers, correct this text for me, thanks.
    Hi Marciobarbalho,
    Oh! There are some people who are visual learners. They find it hard to learn something without seeing it or reading about it. I am one of those people. I learn through books(with my eyes wide open) and I listen to conversations on tv(with my ears this time). I think using both eyes and ears could do the job a lot easier.

Hi Betoss06,
    I think you're going to need a dictionary of phrasal verbs for this. Look for the meaning of the phrasal verbs in the dictionary and find sample sentences. There's a lot you can get in the internet. And also don't forget to make your own sentences using the new phrasal verbs you've learned. Post your sentences here in Usingenglish.com so that teachers could guide you on your study.

Also, while reading articles, books... be vigilant and look for the phrasal verbs. Keeping a handy notebook to write those you've already learned could be as useful.

I hope this could be helpful to you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

yeah, If you speak English well, fluently, without thinking, then you probably should use a phrasal verbs dictionary, but If you don't, the easier and faster way is to listen to native speakers speak those phrasal verbs on everyday conversation.
    Learn English from who really speaks English is the best way, a dictionary could help, but it's not that easy, you'd have to memorize lots of sentences and their meanings.
    Learn with your ears, repeat what you listen many many times. Make it sure that the material is understandable and grow your vocabulary by listening carefully to the native speakers, do it and you'll learn (not memorize) it for sure.
    Last edited by Offroad; 06-Mar-2008 at 06:58.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    yeah, If you speak English well, fluently, without thinking, then you probably should use a phrasal verbs dictionary, but If you don't, the easier and faster way is to listen to native speakers speak those phrasal verbs on everyday conversation.
    Learn English from who really speaks English is the best way, a dictionary could help, but it's not that easy, you'd have to memorize lots of sentences and their meanings.
    Learn with your ears, repeat what you listen many many times. Make it sure that the material is understandable and grow your vocabulary by listening carefully to the native speakers, do it and you'll learn (not memorize) it for sure.
    Listening is good! But it´s should not be the end of it. How should we know spelling by just listening to other people´s words? How about pronunciation? What if the person you´re listening to has pronunciation problems? What if he only speaks slang? How could you learn the formal language then? Listening is good, but you should be discreet.

And how could you say that you need not to memorize? Listening to native speakers is not enough. You need to be vigilant of what they say, and MEMORIZE those phrasal verbs they used and the way they used it. Memorization is a very important skill. Without it, we could not speak a word in any language. We´ve memorized all the words we used since birth, only that we´ve got so accustomed to it that we could use them automatically.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

marciobarbalho,

Try to go to any language school and see if they´ll simply take you into a room to listen to their English speaking teacher all day long.
    I´m afraid that´s not what you´ll see. You´ll be seeing books all around.

What you´re suggesting, I think, is only possible for those selected few who could afford to hire a native English speaking teacher, and get him to stay in their houses.

But for us, who can only self-study, we need every resources we could get. From books, to the television, to the internet... So I think, that disregarding the importance of visual aids is quite unreasonable.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

I've known lots of English students (or learners) who have been studying English for years. Every English school has the same method: Students take classes, which includes conversation and grammar, it mean, they talk and analyse the English language. And... they have to pay for this. Guess what? They can't speak English well, they are worried about grammar mistakes and don't talk properly or fastly. Besides, every student who has started by listening can talk fluently, without thinking, quickly. This is what I'd call effortless English. It's easy, faster.
    I think take grammar classes is not a good idea for the ones who can't understand the spoken English, actually it may hurt their learning process. Native speakers take grammar classes mainly in order to improve their writing skills, at first, all have to speak before reading or writing.
    For a a learner who studies English as a second language, it'd be great that it was possible understand and speak before analyse or worry about something.
    Last edited by Offroad; 07-Mar-2008 at 00:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

You have a good point, Marciobarbalho, and I commend you for that.

That's the way I learned so I could relate to what you have mentioned above. It's good that we start with copying sounds and expressions , or in my words memorizing sounds and expressions. For us to speak fluently, we must speak more often and not focus mainly on the grammar.

But I believe Betoss06 isn't somebody who doesn't know English. He wouldn't know phrasal verbs if he is such. He wants to know them and he could already use, perhaps, some of them.

What I suggested is for people who cannot afford in anyway to hire or talk to native speakers, which most all of us fills this category, and so we need the books/tv/internet as our starting point.

I bought a book-cd package about idioms, which is very nice, months ago. I listened to it again and again but I think simply listening to it isn't enough so I go over the book to keep up with what's on the cd. I'm a visual learner, that's why.

Your way of learning is good, but without the other resources to back it up the learner would get stuck to those wrong grammars, poor pronunciation, and on... I think making use of all the resources would do more wonders than just the one(traditional) way you're used to.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

What I mean is that one doesn't get pronunciation by reading text books, but listening to native speakers, listening to real English. By the way, whether you ask someone (a native speak) on the US streets:

Please Miss... Do you know what 'present continous tense' is?
    She will reply:
    Hummm...I have no idea

but she can speak fluently, she can write simple texts, she can understand anyone who speaks english over the world.
    what I mean is that grammar is useful in order to write, not to speak. If you already speak well, read books and improve your skills, go to the schools, take grammar classes, etc, and you will speak even better, of course.
    Last edited by Offroad; 07-Mar-2008 at 02:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

As I have mentioned about, that's only for those fortunate few who could afford it. But it's not always the case. I wouldn't stay in the corner waiting for that native English speaker to arrive to start learning English.

We don't have to learn pronunciation from native speakers to do effectively. I think local language teachers are quite adequate to give us such excellent training.

And we, as non-natives, should learn the sentence structure of English knowing different languages may have different sentence structures, maybe inversely.

Books are necessary. How could you speak fluently without the big amount of vocabulary which the books offer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast