1. collision47

Paraphrase help...

Can you please paraphrase this for me:

Perhaps the most important theme is the one that Steinbeck introduces in the introduction and further spells out in chapter two: things and people are not always what they seem.

and

Steinbeck creates characters who care about each other far more than they care about a steady job or material possessions. In spite of their poverty, lack of social graces, and outcast status, they attempt to help each other. Although their plans are frequently ill-conceived and poorly executed, their actions come from the heart, creating both the warmth and pathos of the story.

Thanks.

Re: Paraphrase help...

Quote Originally Posted by collision47 View Post
    Can you please paraphrase this for me:

Perhaps the most important theme is the one that Steinbeck introduces in the introduction and further spells out in chapter two: things and people are not always what they seem.

Perhaps Steinbeck's most important theme is that what you see is not always what you get.

and

Steinbeck creates characters who care about each other far more than they care about a steady job or material possessions. In spite of their poverty, lack of social graces, and outcast status, they attempt to help each other. Although their plans are frequently ill-conceived and poorly executed, their actions come from the heart, creating both the warmth and pathos of the story.

Steinbeck's characters are more concerned about each other than about material matters, and they help one another whatever the consequences. Their caring is what creates the pathos and warmth in the story.

Thanks.