• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

expression: pick your battle(s)

At first instance, I thought the meaning was pretty simple and clean cut. Then a second later, I wasn't so sure.

What does it "fully" mean? And what's likely to be the reasons for that advice to be given?

Re: expression: pick your battle(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    At first instance, I thought the meaning was pretty simple and clear cut. [clean cut]. Then a second later, I wasn't so sure.

What does it "fully" mean? And what's likely to be the reasons for that advice to be given?
    Hello NT,

Where exactly is "There"?

It means to not argue everything, every point, every issue. Rather, focus on what will help you achieve overall victory.

It could be said in any number of situations; to a fellow lawyer, a debater, someone here arguing grammar issues, ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

riverkid: It means to not argue everything, every point, every issue. Rather, focus on what will help you achieve overall victory.
    Thanks for the explanation. I get it now.

Where exactly is "There"?
    Haha, nowhere significant. I was lost in a city and was given the direction on the phone while driving, after some confusing moments the person finally declared: "You're near there!".

Goodness, like with most things in life, it took me longer than most to get there.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Attention: I'm not a teacher.

Hi NearThere,

There is another standpoint.

The expression "pick your battles" is just bad advice because it is a recipe for selective inattention. The real meaning of "pick your battles" is "don't expend your credit.

The idea is that as a personality your energy and influence are finite and must be hoarded lest they run out; therefore let the small things pass and save it for the big things. But there are only big things. Not only should you fight every battle, you should look for battles to fight, for what the "flabby devil" is always settling into some corner of your world and you must always be ready to root him out.

"Keep your eye on the big picture" is a version of "pick your battles." It says, don't sweat the details, delegate, and don't try to take care of everything. (see the riverkid’s post above).

Regards.

V.

We atheists prefer to stick with the secular interpretation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    We atheists prefer to stick with the secular interpretation.

I literally laughed hard...........on this one.

But c'mon I like Vil, I've been thur Vil's merciless critique on one particular occasion (gave me flashbacks of school life all over again) and came out in one piece. I've learned to appreciate Vil's effort to help and passion to correct, it's all good. But,

Vil: Not only should you fight every battle, you should look for battles to fight
    Vil, isn't that advice contrary to the core idea of the expression "pick you battle"?

You know you guys are confusing a already confusing mind.

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi NearThere,

Quote:
    Vil: Not only should you fight every battle, you should look for battles to fight
    Vil, isn't that advice contrary to the core idea of the expression "pick you battle"?

Thatís right enough. I am manifest opponent of that whimsical appeal for selective and limited action. I am an adherent of the total, unmerciful and unyielding struggle. You have to take an active part in the surrounding world. You have to be ready to fight well for your country, for your freedom and honor, and if it is necessary to die nobly as heroes and saints die, with hearts and hands unstained by hatred or wrong. Then you will be able to look back in pride, to the end of your days, on your heroic deeds.

I am sorry than I canít manage properly English language so I shan't be able to express complete my ideological stand concerning the expression in question.

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Hi NearThere,

Quote:

Thatís right enough. I am manifest opponent of that whimsical appeal for selective and limited action. I am an adherent of the total, unmerciful and unyielding struggle. You have to take an active part in the surrounding world. You have to be ready to fight well for your country, for your freedom and honor, and if it is necessary to die nobly as heroes and saints die, with hearts and hands unstained by hatred or wrong. Then you will be able to look back in pride, to the end of your days, on your heroic deeds.

I am sorry than I canít manage properly English language so I shan't be able to express complete my ideological stand concerning the expression in question.

Regards.

V.

Wow, you remind me of the soldier fighting in the battlefield right now. Not everybody is endowed with such qualities -- bravery and courage, so to you. You are a fighter.

NT

I usually hear this idiom used in the context of relationships. Picking my battle would mean that I confront a person when it is really necessary and advantageous. I.e. I will not place strain in my relationships by being contentious for just any reason. By picking my battles I exercise maturity in patience, in understanding the other person's capacity, and in preserving my focus and energy for those matters that truly, matter.

A good example of picking one's battle in a protective relationship could be found within the area of child rearing.

An example of picking one's battle while being under authority could be perhaps not complaining and reacting to every negative circumstance in one's working place, but rather be sure that one has a solid case with perceived importance when bringing up a suggestion or grievance to those higher in the authority.