Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 269
    #1

    1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    Hi, I got two questions, and hope you can help me. Thanks a million.

    1. The first commandment is you got nothing coming.
    Could anybody tell me the complete one of this sentece? In my opinion, I think it would be " The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming." Is my opinion right?

    The scrips below: (script's from Prison Break 01x01)
    .C.B - Name and back number.
    M - Scofield, Michael. 94941.
    C.B - Are you a religious man, Scofield?
    M - Never really thought about it.
    C.B - Good, 'cause the Ten Commandments don't mean a box of piss in here.
    - We got two commandments and two only.
    - The first commandment is you got nothing coming.
    M - What's the second commandment?
    C.B - See commandment number one.
    M - Gotcha.
    C.B - You talking out the side of your neck?
    M - Come again?
    C.B - I said, are you being a smartass?
    M - Just trying to fly low, avoid the radar, boss.
    - Do my time... and get out.
    C.B - There isn't any flying under my radar.
    M - Good to know.

    2. He works down in Chicago.
    What does "down" mean in this sentence? Whether it means " He works in the South of Chicago." ?

    Thanks for your help and have a nice day.

  1. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #2

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post

    1. The first commandment is you got nothing coming.
    Could anybody tell me the complete one of this sentece? In my opinion, I think it would be " The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming." Is my opinion right?


    2. He works down in Chicago.
    What does "down" mean in this sentence? Whether it means " He works in the South of Chicago." ?
    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    You certainly are getting your money's worth out of watching the Prison Break TV program!

    " The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming." Is my opinion right? No! The 'first commandment' in this case means that while he is in this prison Michael will not be getting special treatment; in spite of his engineering degree and advanced level of education, he will be treated the same way as the other prisoners.

    He works down in Chicago.
    What does "down" mean in this sentence? Whether it means " He works in the South of Chicago." ? You are almost correct! If my memory serves me correctly, the prison is located in the state of Illinois and north of Chicago. "Down in Chicago" means south of the prison and somewhere in the city of Chicago. It doesn't specifically mean the 'southside' of the city.

    I hope this is helpful to you!

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 269
    #3

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=amigos4;262461]Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    " The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming." Is my opinion right? No! The 'first commandment' in this case means that while he is in this prison Michael will not be getting special treatment; in spite of his engineering degree and advanced level of education, he will be treated the same way as the other prisoners.


    Hi,amigos4.

    I'm pretty glad to get your help again. Thanks for your reply at first.
    In fact, the explanation you're offering me is just what I meant. According to this point, so, is there something wrong with the sentence I write down?(The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming.) I mean the sentence I write down doesn't mean the explanation you offer me? ( but in fact, I got the same idea with you when I write down this sentence !)
    Okay, to avoid being confused, I was wondering if you could write down the full corrcect one for me?
    the original one is: The first commandment is you got nothing coming." I think may be I'll find out the wrong place if you can offer me a full one of this sentence.

    (P.S. May be you've already got confused right now, me too! 5555555555555555, I got the same idea with you, may be the problem is that I write down the wrong sentence, hope you can help me correct it )

    Thanks x 1,000,000!!!

  2. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #4

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=XINLAI-UE;262732]
    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post
    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    " The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming." Is my opinion right? No! The 'first commandment' in this case means that while he is in this prison Michael will not be getting special treatment; in spite of his engineering degree and advanced level of education, he will be treated the same way as the other prisoners.


    Hi,amigos4.

    I'm pretty glad to get your help again. Thanks for your reply at first.
    In fact, the explanation you're offering me is just what I meant. According to this point, so, is there something wrong with the sentence I write down?(The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming.) I mean the sentence I write down doesn't mean the explanation you offer me? ( but in fact, I got the same idea with you when I write down this sentence !)
    Okay, to avoid being confused, I was wondering if you could write down the full corrcect one for me?
    the original one is: The first commandment is you got nothing coming." I think may be I'll find out the wrong place if you can offer me a full one of this sentence.

    (P.S. May be you've already got confused right now, me too! 5555555555555555, I got the same idea with you, may be the problem is that I write down the wrong sentence, hope you can help me correct it )

    Thanks x 1,000,000!!!
    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    Let's try this, again!

    Is there something wrong with the sentence I write down?(The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming.) Yes, your first commandment is incorrect! Your sentence is not what is being said to Michael. Michael is not 'coming' because he is already in prison. The thing that is not coming to Michael is special consideration or favors. Re-write the commandment to say: "Michael, the first commandment is you will get absolutely nothing special while you are in this prison."

    Does this help?

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 269
    #5

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=amigos4;262742]
    Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    Let's try this, again!

    Is there something wrong with the sentence I write down?(The first commandment is you got nothing while you're coming.) Yes, your first commandment is incorrect! Your sentence is not what is being said to Michael. Michael is not 'coming' because he is already in prison. The thing that is not coming to Michael is special consideration or favors. Re-write the commandment to say: "Michael, the first commandment is you will get absolutely nothing special while you are in this prison."

    Does this help?

    Cheers,
    Amigo
    Hi,amigos4,

    May I say, The first commandment is you got nothing while you come.?


  3. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #6

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=XINLAI-UE;262945]
    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post

    Hi,amigos4,

    May I say, The first commandment is you got nothing while you come.?

    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    NO!!!!!

    The first commandment is you will get nothing while you are here!

    Michael has already arrived...he is not coming...he is in prison NOW! Forget the word 'coming' because it is just confusing you.

    The bottom line is this: Michael is in a difficult situation and he should not expect any help... there is no help coming!

    Does this help?

    Let's just help Michael escape from the prison and then we can move on to the next episode!!!

    Cheers,
    Amigo


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 269
    #7

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=amigos4;262954]
    Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post

    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    NO!!!!!

    The first commandment is you will get nothing while you are here!

    Michael has already arrived...he is not coming...he is in prison NOW! Forget the word 'coming' because it is just confusing you.

    The bottom line is this: Michael is in a difficult situation and he should not expect any help... there is no help coming!

    Does this help?

    Let's just help Michael escape from the prison and then we can move on to the next episode!!!

    Cheers,
    Amigo

    Hi,amigos4,

    Sorry for a late reply, I got a little problem with my computer.
    Okay, whatever, forget about the word " coming", as long as I know the meaning of this sentence, which is the most important!!! ( May be I thought more about English Grammar, in fact, a lot Chinese students always do this like me, but, sometimes it really confuses us without a teacher's help)

    Thanks for your patience. I'm enjoying episode 2 right now and it's gonna be 3 a whole lot sooner!

    Have a nice day!

  4. Amigos4's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Oct 2007
    • Posts: 54,931
    #8

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    Hi, XINLAI-UE!

    I'm happy to help you!

    I enjoy watching Prison Break, also!

    I'm not sure why I find it so fascinating! The plot is quite dumb and the acting is not always very good! But, there is something about Michael's quality traits that I really admire. I just wish that they would all escape so we can get a new show in its place!

    Take care.

    Amigo

  5. #9

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=XINLAI-UE;262945]
    Quote Originally Posted by amigos4 View Post

    Hi,amigos4,

    May I say, The first commandment is you got nothing while you come.?

    The phrase "to have something coming (to you)" means "to get/receive something", where "coming" modifies "something/nothing".

    You were probably thinking "Coming here, you got nothing", which is different from "You got nothing coming."


    • Join Date: Feb 2008
    • Posts: 269
    #10

    Re: 1.grammar 2.meaning of down

    [quote=acorn;263873]
    Quote Originally Posted by XINLAI-UE View Post
    The phrase "to have something coming (to you)" means "to get/receive something", where "coming" modifies "something/nothing".

    You were probably thinking "Coming here, you got nothing", which is different from "You got nothing coming."
    Hi,acorn

    Thanks for your reply which is pretty helpful to me.
    I got you, As you was saying, the word " coming " modifies " nothing", so I change the original sentece ( The first commandment is you got nothing coming) into a relative clause, then I write down these two sentece, Could you tell me which one is correct.?

    1.The first commandment is you got nothing which is coming (to you).
    2.The first commandment is you got nothing which comes (to you).

    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •