Votes is votes

Hello, I'm reading a humorous article about the length to which some people are willing to go when canvassing for votes. The title is "Votes is votes" which, to my understanding, is grammatically incorrect. Is this a set expression, some sort of play on words, or simply a made up title for this article? Thank you

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: Votes is votes

Quote Originally Posted by micaelo View Post
    Hello, I'm reading a humorous article about the length to which some people are willing to go when canvassing for votes. The title is "Votes is votes" which, to my understanding, is grammatically incorrect. Is this a set expression, some sort of play on words, or simply a made up title for this article? Thank you
    It is a type of slang. As you have appreciated it should be 'votes are votes'. It is used as a sort of funny way to draw attention to a campaign.

Re: Votes is votes

Quote Originally Posted by micaelo View Post
    There's an idiomatic expression "as sure as eggs is eggs" which means "absolutely sure". I don't know when it dates back to or why it should be "is" and not "are" but obviously the title of your article is based on that expression.