1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

get behind ?

I don't understand the meaning of " get behind" of below sentence.

I tried to find the meaning in the dictionary, but failed.

Is that a kind of phrasal verb ?

Help me plaease.

================================================== =======
    We read a wonderful novel and the characters are alive in our minds even days and weeks later. What the characters have done and said lives in us, telling us something about ourselves. We put poems in our memories so we can call up the impact of the words at will. We feel deeply moved as we stand in front of a powerful painting or watch the accomplished musician, as if the artist had turned a spotlight on some aspect of life we had seen but never really examined. And once the museum doors close, the book covers are shut, and the music stops, yet that spotlight remains, allowing us to see in new ways, to get behind the artist's eyes, ears and hands.

Re: get behind ?

I don't understand the meaning of " get behind" of below sentence.

Corrected:
    I don't understand the meaning of " get behind" in the sentence below:

Art in all its forms reflects life as seen through the eye's of an artist. We see a face as a face, yet look at how Picasso sees the human face?
    So, by conveying their image and view of something, in effect, we are then able to see things a little differently, as if we have gotten behind his eyes and are looking out through the eyes of the artist.