allow

Hi,

could you please tell me whether "allow" is correctly used here:

A fundamental breach of the contract means the following:
    1) The provider does not allow inspections and tests of the work or its part or correct function of the client’s plant or makes them otherwise impossible despite repeated notices by the client.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

Re: allow

t "permit" would be the better choice here, meaning 'giving authorization or consent", in this legal-sounding context .

However, ..."or its part or correct function of the client’s plant or makes them otherwise impossible" is not clear.
    I think by 'correct function' you mean 'the proper functioning"

Yes, proper functioning. The sentence says that the provider does not allow inspections or tests of the work or any part of the work and does not allow proper functioning of the client´s plant or takes other measures to make it impossible.

So it becomes:
    The provider does not allow inspections and tests of the work or a specific part of the work

and does not allow proper functioning of the client´s plant

This is not clear. Is the porvider also the 'client' ? How does he not allow proper functioning - I'm lost here.

or takes other measures to render this not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    So it becomes:
    The provider does not allow inspections and tests of the work or a specific part of the work

and does not allow proper functioning of the client´s plant

This is not clear. Is the porvider also the 'client' ? How does he not allow proper functioning - I'm lost here.

or takes other measures to render this not possible.
    Actually, I am lost too The provider is supposed to deliver the plant to the client. This sentence is included in the contract concluded between them. But the contract does not specify this in detail.

I don't see how one can 'deliver the plant to the client" if plant = factory = works, as in an industrial plant, or chemical works, or car factory etc A bit heavy and unmanageable!!

In simple words, what does the providor do? What is his function, what is his business?

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    I don't see how one can 'deliver the plant to the client" if plant = factory = works, as in an industrial plant, or chemical works, or car factory etc A bit heavy and unmanageable!!

In simple words, what does the providor do? What is his function, what is his business?
    But "plant" could also mean a machine or equipment. I don´t know it exactly, because I am translating only a part of the "contract for work" and do not have the whole text available. Maybe the plant really is a factory or any other facility and the provider only provides services relating thereto.
    But thank you for you help anyway!!!

So finally it becomes:
    The provider does not allow inspections and tests of the plant, or a specific part of the plant, or the proper functioning of its equipment or machinery, or takes other measures so as to render this not possible.

'Plant' referring to the actual machinery as opposed to the place where it is installed, still suggests something huge and sprawling. Not like a tractor or a truck, or piece of equipment which could easily be transported. It suggest something fixed in place.