• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Arrow Paralyzing

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi guys, please help me with this:"There are several reasons given for the use of terrorist activity. Among them are: to create high profile impact on the
    public with the goal of......; to make.........; to inflict......; and to create physical pain and paralyzing psychological emotions such as panic, chaos, unrest, fear, paranoia, anxiety, anger, grief, and a sense of tragedy." Well, I ask about "paralyzing", in a way, I see it as an adjective, despite I know it's not. It can't be a substitute for " to paralyze" at all, because the only meaning that make sense to me is to make these emotions exist, and not paralyzing them.

Re: Paralyzing

We would really need to see the full context, but I think the author is saying that terrrorist action has the effect of paralysing people's ability to feel. It is so shattering and unexpected that they exist only in the immediate present.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Lightbulb Re: Paralyzing

This is the full context:
    1. Definition of terrorism
    There is no single definition that adequately describes the many expressions of terrorism that have spread throughout history (Drummond, 2002; Laqueur, 1987). The main elements of terrorist action are the calculated use of unexpected, shocking, and unlawful violence against non-combatants in order to intimidate or coerce a government or civilian population to accept demands on behalf of an underlying ideology or cause.
    There are several reasons given for the use of terrorist activity. Among them are: to create high profile impact on the public with the goal of undermining public confidence in their own government; to make routine social activity difficult; to inflict as much damage as possible; to seek vengeance; and to create physical pain and paralyzing psychological emotions such as panic, chaos, unrest, fear, paranoia, anxiety, anger, grief, and a sense of tragedy (Ardila, 2002; Furnish, 2005; Hudson, 1999; Lawal, 2002; McCauley, 2002; Reid, 2002; Thackrah, 2004).

Thanks. I stand by my first response. The effect of terrorist activity paralyses the ability to feel - at that moment.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

"paralyzing psychological emotions such as panic, chaos, unrest, fear, paranoia, anxiety, anger, grief, and a sense of tragedy"

Yes, "paralyzing" and 'psychological" are both adjectives here for the word emotions. Not all psychological emotions are paralyzing, but the list gives some that are.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I understand the whole meaning, Anglika. It is just the word "paralyzing" that confuses me. Please, look carefully at this :"....; and to create physical pain and paralyzing psychological emotions such as panic, chaos, unrest, fear, paranoia, anxiety, anger, grief, and a sense of tragedy.". You can see there is no semicolon any longer, between "and paralyzing" and "and to creat physical pain", which suggests that "paralyzing" belongs to "creat". So, the meaning is : "to creat paralyzing psych emotions such as...". But the problem is: "paralyzing" is not an adjective as far as I know. Can a verb form work as an adjective?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

In a sense, I agree with you, Susiedqq. But all the adjectives that relates to the verb" paralyze", such as : paralyzed or paralytic, involve the meaning of being affected with paralysis for the noun that has this quality, rather than making somebody or something paralyzed. In addition, I've searched in many trusted dictionaries for " paralyzing" as an adjective, and the result is nothing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

how about paralytic emotion?

In any case, it means helpless inactivity

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Back to the point, I'm still not convinced that my "paralyzing" could be analyzed as an adjective.
    Last edited by Egyption Arrow; 13-Mar-2008 at 01:01.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Is this your main question:?

Can a verb form work as an adjective?

My answer is that you must look at HOW the word is used in the sentence. You cannot assume that "paralyzing" is always a verb. English is not that restrictive! In your original sentence, it is used as an adjective.

Look at this simple word "run":
    running water
    running against the wind
    running for office
    running rampant

HOW it is used in the sentence is HOW it is defined as a part of speech.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast