how to pronounce either

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipelette

Member Type
Academic
I was told several times that the pronunciation of either as "ee-ther" was American English whilst pronouncing it like "eye-ther" was British. Only: I do not know anybody from the UK who says "eye-ther" -- even in British films they use the assumed American version. Is "eye-ther" dying? Does only the Queen use it? Does it therefore sound strange when I use it?

fromatto

Member Type
English Teacher
I was told several times that the pronunciation of either as "ee-ther" was American English whilst pronouncing it like "eye-ther" was British. Only: I do not know anybody from the UK who says "eye-ther" -- even in British films they use the assumed American version. Is "eye-ther" dying? Does only the Queen use it? Does it therefore sound strange when I use it?

I say 'eye-ther', and I do not have an ounce of royal blood in me. Either rhymes with neither. Do Americans say kneether ? I do not know.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I love Fred Astaire, and he sang it, but the Gershwins wrote it. :-D

What's odd is that I probably say "neye-ther" more often than "nee-ther" but I think I say both versions of either!

I do say "me neether" - but then, I say "neye-ther do I"... so... who knows?

Buddhaheart

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Longman polled panel preference in Britain in1988: 88% /awðə/, 12% /i+ ðə/ and 1993 AmE poll: 16% / awðd/ vs 84% /i+ ðd/. Please note the 1st pronunciation is the "eye-ther" version and the 2nd "ee-ther" version.

Titita

Member Type
English Teacher
Both forms of pronouncing the word "either" are correct in both varieties of English. So feel free to pronounce it as you feel like it. However, the ,let's say, most used form is ee-ther. I personally prefer eye-ther

Batfink

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
I say eye-ther and n-eye-ther.

Status
Not open for further replies.