• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Cool exemption

Usually, "exemption" or "to be exempt from" mean "be free from any duty, law or whatever be for the majority." But, can "exemption" also mean "exclusion" in some cases? For instance, can we say "this information is exempt from disclosure" meaning "this information is not for public divulgation"?

Thanks a lot

Re: exemption

I have not met it in the context you suggest. I think it is not a proper usage and to be avoided.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Cool Re: exemption

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I have not met it in the context you suggest. I think it is not a proper usage and to be avoided.
    So, please, what must be understood for "this information is exempt from disclosure", then?

Is this sentence in something you are reading? If so, full background and/or context would help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Attention: Iím not a teacher.

Hi Bushwhacker,

There are the following synonyms in my Dictionary concerning the matter in question.

exemption (n) synonyms : absolution, discharge, dispensation, exclusion, exoneration, freedom, immunity, indulgence, privilege, release.

exempt (v) synonyms: absolve, discharge, dismiss, excuse, free, let off, liberate, release, relieve, spare
    exempt adj. absolved, clear, discharged, excluded, excused, favored, free, immune, liberated, released, spared

Regards.

V

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

The paragraph: "This information is supplied in confidence by X, and it's exempt from disclosure under the Act X."

Here, it seems that "to be exempt from" means something negative, a prohibition, not positive as usual. It seems it's saying that according to the Act X, the information is not allowed to be published. Isn't it? I agree it's bizarre but I can't find any other meaning suitable. Please, do you have another one?

Thank You

It is a legal reference.

Extrapolating from what you have given, there is some kind of legal action in which evidence has been provided but that, owing to some exception allowed under the law, this evidence is exempted from the normal rules of giving evidence and cannot be used in arguing the case.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

It is a legal reference.

Extrapolating from what you have given, there is some kind of legal action in which evidence has been provided but that, owing to some exception allowed under the law, this evidence is exempted from the normal rules of giving evidence and cannot be used in arguing the case.
    So, if it can not be used it means it's not susceptible of being divulged, isn't it? Could "exempt from" be changed by excluded of use, here, then?

Thank You

It is being excluded because it is exempt.

Just to say excluded could indicate merely that it was not used, but that it could have been used.