word order

1) The in situ vaginal wall sling procedure was performed in 39 women with stress urinary incontinence between 1997 and 2007.

My question is: should
    ' between 1997 and 2007' be placed after performed?. 2) The in situ vaginal wall sling procedure was performed in 39 women with stress urinary incontinence between 1997 and 2001.
    Otherwise, it sounds (to me) as though the medical problem was present berween 1997 and 2007.
    This, however, places a temporal phrase right in the middle of a sentence, which we have been taught is wrong.
    Is the following a better alternative, (on the assumption that the first version is not quite right):
    Between 1997 and 2001, the in situ vaginal wall sling procedure was performed in 39 women with stress urinary incontinence .

Thank you
    Gundl

Re: word order

Your suggested alternative is the one that does not lead to possible confusion. I would go with it [unless, of course, the reference is to women who suffered stress urinary incontinence in this period]

39 women were treated during those years. But they didn't have the medical condition during those years in the sense that once they were treated, they were okay (at least the doctors make a claim to this efffect). So, does the rule stand viz. don't use time phrases in the middle of a sentence, but use them either at the beginning or at the end?

Thank you.

I don't like to lay down a law in this kind of situation. The time phrase can be at the start, middle, or end - but logic and clarity should dictate where it is best placed.

In your sentence it is certainly clearer to use it at the start of the sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Between 1997 and 2007, the in situ vaginal wall sling procedure was performed on 39 women with stress urinary incontinence.

This would confirm the years when the procedures were done.

The in situ vaginal wall sling procedure was performed on 39 women experiencing stress urinary incontinence between 1997 and 2007.

This says these 39 women had the symptom between these years.

(Aren't procedures performed "on" people?)