• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Don't for two moments think otherwise

Hello everyone
    I'd like to ask about the meaning of the phrase "Don't for two moments think otherwise" in the following context

One old aunt assured him, "you will go insane in the darkness. Starlight has that effect on people, you know."
    That wasn't true. Humans were adaptable, and besides, the New Isles were lit up with blue-white lights very much like sunshine. Yet his response was deflected with a cold pleasure. "You will go insane," his aunt repeated. "Don't for two moments think otherwise, my boy."

The situation in the passsage is as follows: an aunt is talking to his nephew who is going to leave his home in connection with a potential danger of poisonous and flammable gas eruptions.

My guess is that "Don't for two moments think otherwise" means "think carefully, think twice before doing that."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Don't for two moments think otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    My guess is that "Don't for two moments think otherwise" means "think carefully, think twice before doing that. No, it doesn't mean that.
    ''Don't for (two moments)(two seconds)(a minute) think otherwise.'' means 'Believe what you just heard or read; don't even for a very short time (think otherwise)(doubt that)(believe something different).'

"