• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

The job is yours to lose.

What does the sentence 'The job is yours to lose'? If the job is yours, then why 'to lose'?

Thank you very much.

Re: The job is yours to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    What does the sentence 'The job is yours to lose'? If the job is yours, then why 'to lose'?

Thank you very much.

If Manchester United play a game against a team very much weaker than themselves, you can say that MU have the game to lose. In other words, the result is a foregone conclusion. The only thing that can go wrong is if they play so badly that they lose the game.

There are 2 candidates for a job. 'X' already works for the company. 'Y' is an external candidate. They will be interviewed by X's boss, who has already indicated to him that he will get the job. All he has to do is to pass the interview. The job is his to lose.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by fromatto View Post
    If Manchester United play a game against a team very much weaker than themselves, you can say that MU have the game to lose. In other words, the result is a foregone conclusion. The only thing that can go wrong is if they play so badly that they lose the game.

There are 2 candidates for a job. 'X' already works for the company. 'Y' is an external candidate. They will be interviewed by X's boss, who has already indicated to him that he will get the job. All he has to do is to pass the interview. The job is his to lose.
    Hi, fromatto. Thank you for your help. But I still have a problem with the second case. All Y has to do is to pass the interview. If Y doesn't perform especially awfully, then he'll certainly get the job. Am I right? I just don't understand why the 'to lose' is to be used. We could say 'The job is easily yours', couldn't we?
    Thank you again.
    Last edited by joham; 17-Mar-2008 at 02:56. Reason: wrongly expressed

"The job is yours to lose" = You have the job providing you don't mess up, in which case you lose it.

It can equally well be said to someone already in a job who needs a reminder that if the work doesn't get done, he or she will no longer be in the job - he or she will lose the job.

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    Hi, fromatto. Thank you for your help. But I still have a problem with the second case. All Y has to do is to pass the interview. If Y doesn't perform especially awfully, then he'll certainly get the job. Am I right? I just don't understand why the 'to lose' is to be used. We could say 'The job is easily yours', couldn't we?
    Thank you again.

All X has to do is pass the interview. As long as he doesn't say anything stupid, he will get the job, no matter how well Y performs.