Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 3
    #1

    When to use has had/ have had

    hi,
    Can anyone tell me when to use has had/ had had in a sentence.
    Because i can not understand the need to use it instead of just using has/had.

    eg: He has had a bad day

    Can't we just say he had a bad day ?

    What is the difference between these two sentences..

    Please help........

  1. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Smile Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by kssujith2005 View Post
    hi,
    Can anyone tell me when to use has had/ had had in a sentence.
    Because i can not understand the need to use it instead of just using has/had.

    eg: He has had a bad day

    Can't we just say he had a bad day ?

    What is the difference between these two sentences..

    Please help........
    He has had a bad day means that that particular day is not finished yet, while He had a bad day indicates that the day in question is finished at the time of speaking about it.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #3

    Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by kssujith2005 View Post
    hi,
    Can anyone tell me when to use has had in a sentence.
    Because i can not understand the need to use it instead of just using has/had.

    eg: He has had a bad day

    Can't we just say he had a bad day ?

    What is the difference between these two sentences..

    Please help........
    This is complicated enough without dealing with two structures at one time. Let's just deal with the present perfect

    "He has had a bad day."

    and the difference between it and the past simple,

    "He had a bad day."

    for now, K. We can deal with the past perfect, "had had" in another post. Okay? {I've deleted your reference to "had had" in your posting quoted above}

    The following is from another thread on the same topic. I've moved what I consider to be the crucial part but you may want to read the whole posting as there is other valuable information there.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-has-left.html

    Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    --Does Trevor still work there?
    --No, he left.

    This dialogue comes from CAMBRIDGE LEARNER'S DICTIONARY (leave). I'd like to know why the answer isn't 'No, he's left', as we are always told by grammar books.
    riverkid wrote:
    We can use either, even when the event has just happened. The present perfect is used for HOT NEWS and for past events that have a importance to now, often called, "current relevance". It can also be used to be more formal/polite.

    But, and this is vitally important. It all depends on speaker choice. In the situation that you've presented, the speaker isn't all that concerned about Trevor and his leaving, it's just a simple finished event.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #4

    Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    He has had a bad day means that that particular day is not finished yet, while He had a bad day indicates that the day in question is finished at the time of speaking about it.
    Engee, that

    "that that particular day is not finished yet"

    is a possibility,

    "So far, he's had a bad day"

    but it most certainly isn't always the case.

    Do,

    "He's had an operation" / "She's had a tooth pulled" / They've had their tonsils out

    mean that these "operations" aren't finished?

    Engee, I suspect that you've read this description in some grammar books. I know that it's been taught this way in a lot of American grammars. Could you post one the info from one of these grammars that describes this issue?

  2. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #5

    Cool Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Engee, that

    "that that particular day is not finished yet"

    is a possibility,

    "So far, he's had a bad day"

    but it most certainly isn't always the case.

    Do,

    "He's had an operation" / "She's had a tooth pulled" / They've had their tonsils out

    mean that these "operations" aren't finished?
    Well, in this case it's not about the operations not finished at the time of speaking, but it's mainly about the time during which such operations may occur. Obviously, the importance or relevance of an event to the speaker is another thing to mention.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Engee, I suspect that you've read this description in some grammar books. I know that it's been taught this way in a lot of American grammars. Could you post one the info from one of these grammars that describes this issue?
    Yes, I've read about the issue in one of the grammar books I am in possession of. Here are two scans from two of these grammars (a very popular series of books):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	have had vs had.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	322
    Attachment 323
    Last edited by engee30; 16-Mar-2008 at 19:41.


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #6

    Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Hi Engee.

    Clicking on "Attachment 323" gives the following message. Clicking on the picture link opens the right page.

    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

    If you received this message immediately after posting a new thread, there's a good chance your message was flagged as spam. Please read this thread for more info.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #7

    Smile Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Hi Engee.

    Clicking on "Attachment 323" gives the following message. Clicking on the picture link opens the right page.
    That's strange - I don't get any message popped up like that.

    Here's the right attachment:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	have had vs had_.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	324


    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,059
    #8

    Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Is it only a short attachment, Engee, consisting of 4 lines and two example sentences?

  4. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #9

    Post Re: When to use has had/ have had

    Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Is it only a short attachment, Engee, consisting of 4 lines and two example sentences?
    No, that was only a piece of the whole page, but the piece provided deals with the issue in question.
    Here's the whole page:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	have had vs had_.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	325

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •