• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

pimping out

I believe I understand the most original meaning of "pimping out", not at will might I add. But today I heard this expression being used in the following context of a speech given in a public event: ".....temperal vanity........pimping out thier charriots and showing off thier bling.......the society imposed this kind of value........."

I'm guessing charriots is a metaphore for cars, so does it mean that the owners of the cars let people ride thier cars in exchange for money?

Thanks in advance

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Re: pimping out

I'm not a teacher, but In this sense, "pimping out" means "elaborately decorating or embellishing". The term apparently comes from US African-American usage. There is a TV programme called "Pimp My Ride" which, along with rap and hip-hop music, has helped spread the term so that it's now used in this sense even here in New Zealand.

I'm going on how they are portrayed in American movies (as opposed to having any pimps of personal acquaintance!), but African-American pimps are dressed in expensive, flashy clothes, necks weighed down with gold chains, and hands covered in large rings of all sorts...as if they have decorated themselves! I guess they have used this image about the cars (charriots).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The usage comes from the way typical pimps (actual pimps - men who turned women out on the streets for purposes of prostitution) used to dress. Very flashy, over-the-top, not tasteful or restrained in any way.

Today we use the same word to describe something that started out as "normal" and has been modified/decorated with outlandish, useless accoutrements. For example, take your average car and add huge chrome rims, a hood scoop and a massive chrome grille, and you've officially pimped your ride (car).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks to Stuartnz, David and Ouisch. Now it made sense to me.

I was wondering why the speaker ripped on people who, at worse, probably just wanted to supplement thier income by doing something equivalent to a retal car business. But then again, that wouldn't go with the rest of the speech either, so I was confused and had the urge to raise my hand for an explanation. Luckily enough I have usingEnglish.com. Thank you!

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    The usage comes from the way typical pimps (actual pimps - men who turned women out on the streets for purposes of prostitution) used to dress. Very flashy, over-the-top, not tasteful or restrained in any way.

Ouich,

Wait a minute, I think this is what you mean but I need furthur clarifying. For my initial understanding of the expression had been something more (oops, and used it a couple times or so).

I had thought "A pimp pimps out the girl" simply meant: The bastard sends the girl out for prostitution.

But it seems like what youre saying is that to "pimp out" simply means to and the emphasis falls on "fix the girl up"? Is that correct?

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

When referring to "pimping out" (sometimes called "turning out") a woman, that means that a pimp (man) has put her out on the street as a prostitute. There are several different types of prostitutes; some are "independent" and work for themselves and live on their own, but others work for a pimp who takes a percentage of their earnings. In return, he provides their clothes and sometimes gives them a place to live. Of course, he also usually beats them up if they fail to earn enough money.

When referring to an object, such as a car or even one's wardrobe, when we refer to "pimping out" we simply mean that we've made it far more decorative and flashy than practical or necessary.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

When referring to an object, such as a car or even one's wardrobe, when we refer to "pimping out" we simply mean that we've made it far more decorative and flashy than practical or necessary.
    That's a new one on me

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

When referring to "pimping out" (sometimes called "turning out") a woman, that means that a pimp (man) has put her out on the street as a prostitute. There are several different types of prostitutes; some are "independent" and work for themselves and live on their own, but others work for a pimp who takes a percentage of their earnings. In return, he provides their clothes and sometimes gives them a place to live. Of course, he also usually beats them up if they fail to earn enough money.
    I think I wasn't too far off from the beginning. So it's basically one bastard doing another bastard a favor at the expense of the girl..........more or less.

I'm sorry for anyone who had to read the crude language here and there and apoligize for setting the native speakers up who were gracious enough to bravely use certain language in order to explain it to me. Thank you, you are great.

NT