1. Unregistered

Red face Please Help me

The following sentences are extracted from Little Survivors by Wensley Clarkson.
    Could you please clarify the sentences and make me understand what the sentences say.

(1) The Nelsons always got in first and sorted out people who were trying to push them around.

(2) My family all went on about how I should always remember who I was but, in reality, I didn't really know until years later when I really worked out what Mum and Dad had been up to in the underworld.

(3) She seemed to be relishing Dad losing it big time with some poor innocent bastard.

(4) I came a poor third.

Re: Please Help me

Not knowing the book, but extrapolating from the language in the sentences:

(1) The Nelsons always got in first and sorted out people who were trying to push them around. If the Nelsons feel that someone is trying to make them do something they don't want to do, then the Nelsons act aggressively and attack the person/people.

(2) My family all went on about how I should always remember who I was but, in reality, I didn't really know until years later when I really worked out what Mum and Dad had been up to in the underworld. "the underworld" indicates that Mum and Dad are criminals or bordering on criminals. The person is suggesting that it was the discovery of what they did that made him realise what kind of person he is.

(3) She seemed to be relishing Dad losing it big time with some poor innocent bastard. "She" likes seeing "Dad" get angry with someone [and probably then beating him up]

(4) I came a poor third. There are three children in the family - two are loved and encouraged, the third is ignored and neglected. In the parents's eyes he is a poor third [is of very low degree in their estimation].

To be a poor third =
    to be considered much lower in value, quality or importance than the other things or people mentioned.