Tips for drilling.

Hi,

Can anyone give me some tips for successful drilling, or point me in the direction of a useful site.

Thanks

Re: Tips for drilling.

Can you explain what you mean about drilling?

There are tests on this site if you look at the Home bar.

Quote Originally Posted by gybbyr View Post
    Hi,

Can anyone give me some tips for successful drilling, or point me in the direction of a useful site.

Thanks
    I think you must mean doing repetitive structure drills, eh, Gyb? First and foremost and always do drills that have real meaning that the students can see. This way, the language relates to an actual event and the process of language is being burned into the brain more quickly.

The other good thing about this is that you don't need any sites and you don't have to worry about making someone else ideas work for you. As a native speaker you can design any number of drills using real life everyday actions.

Vil's recent posting on verbs describing head movements, is an excellent example of a lesson that could easily be expanded to any number of potentially valuable English lessons. I'll try to locate it and post it for you.

Thanks Riverkid,

It would be really useful if you could find the thread again. I am only glad that I don't have to drill the word 'river', because with my country boy accent those R's roll on into infinity.

I got it!

Movement of the head - by Vil

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...ment-head.html

to turn os head
    to shake os head
    to nod os head
    to nod in assent
    to lift os head
    to lift up os head
    to raise os head
    to rear os head
    to carry os head high
    to lower os head
    to drop os head

With these, and they are only a portion of Vil's examples, you could have lessons for a week a month a year!

Drill: present continuous, past tense, be going to/will, be about to, want to, has/have to, needs to, subjunctive/conditionals, modals denoting certainty/modals denoting deontic uses, ...

Now Vil is a really smart guy but he isn't a native speaker and yet, look what he's created [I assume that I'm correct in that you're a guy, right, Vil?]. You as a native speaker can also put together your own lists of actions that students can practice in the classroom.

Go for it, Gyb!

Geeze, I hope I was right about 'drilling' or I've wasted a whole lot of my time and everyone else's.

You were right, River Kid.