If you have to ask...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotomac

Member Type
Student or Learner
What does the phrase "If you have to ask..." mean? It is usually used as a hanging sentence, I see it on TV shows all the time and I am not sure what is meant by it.

Does it mean if you have to ask, then the answer is not what you want to hear? Or does it mean if you have to ask, the answer is "no"?

Is there a more subtle meaning to it?

fromatto

Member Type
English Teacher
What does the phrase "If you have to ask..." mean? It is usually used as a hanging sentence, I see it on TV shows all the time and I am not sure what is meant by it.

Does it mean if you have to ask, then the answer is not what you want to hear? Or does it mean if you have to ask, the answer is "no"?

Yes, there is a more subtle meaning. It means 'if you have to ask, you'll never know'. This is normally said of something which is obvious to everyone but the person to whom the remark is directed.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Another common use for this phrase is:

"How much does that cost?"
"If you have to ask, then you can't afford it."

Meaning it's too expensive for anyone that is counting their pennies. ;-)

fromatto

Member Type
English Teacher

I think 'if you have to ask' is different from 'if you must ask'. Here, the suggestion is that the other person is being 'intrusive' or prying.

fungicord

Member Type
Other
The reason that it is often left as a hanging sentence is that the second half of the sentence varies based on the context.

Other than what has already been mentioned by others, some complete sentences that come to mind, "If you have to ask, then I'm not going to tell you," and "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'no.'" "If you have to ask, then the answer is 'yes.'"

It always means, "By asking the question, you've answered the question."

For example, "Do these pants make my butt look fat?" If you have to ask...

...then you already know that your butt looks fat in those pants. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.