• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

fad

As in fashion, is there fad in English language?

When I first came to the United States, "surreal" was big. Every which way I turned people were saying "surreal", at a party, in the mall, on the news and on the radio as if "surreal" was a new found emotion of awe using it like a fan in a hot day, even the dog was surreal. It lasted for a while, maybe I was new to the language thus the repetitive use of the word stood out to me.

A while ago, "awol" was in vogue even though it's short-lived, so much so that even a friend of mine used it to inquire my whereabout. So where did that come from? How did it become fashionable that everyone seemed to have known the word without looking it up in the dictionary?

There are few others phrases too that are still on going: "in any way, shape or form", "what have you" and/or "what not".......I don't remember hearing them much when I first came to the United States. So who set the trend? How did they come to be trendy? Or have these expressions or words been around ever since and I am just starting to catch on?

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: fad

Some "fad" expresssions come from popular TV shows or films (such as "show me the money!" from Jerry McGuire). Sometimes they develop from a malapropism or a quotation in the news (like "don't tase me, bro!") Catch-phrases and trendy sayings come from just about anyplace, really.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    Some "fad" expresssions come from popular TV shows or films (such as "show me the money!" from Jerry McGuire). Sometimes they develop from a malapropism or a quotation in the news (like "don't tase me, bro!") Catch-phrases and trendy sayings come from just about anyplace, really.
    So there's no secret English Language "Catch-phrase" Committee meeting once a month having nothing better to do and when inspiration strikes, say: Got it, let's try this one!...............................I'm just kidding.

Thank you.

NT

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    So there's no secret English Language "Catch-phrase" Committee meeting once a month having nothing better to do and when inspiration strikes, say: Got it, let's try this one!...............................I'm just kidding.

Thank you.

NT

I've long suspected that there are a bunch of men in suits sitting in a conference room on Madison Avenue plotting exactly what shall dominate popular culture in the near future. Then they launch an all-out media blitz. But perhaps I'm paranoid....