• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

question

An introduction is the first part of the presentation; its function is to arouse the audience and to lead into the main ideas presented in the body.

This is a textbook definition. If I were to write this out, I would have written where before its function. Is that correct?

Re: question

Quote Originally Posted by MsNyree View Post
    An introduction is the first part of the presentation; its function is to arouse the audience and to lead into the main ideas presented in the body.

This is a textbook definition. If I were to write this out, I would have written where before its function. Is that correct?

Your question is not clear. You would have written the word 'where' ?

Also, you might say that the function of an introduction is to arouse the interest of the audience, which is slightly, but importantly, different.

Re: question

Sorry...no.
    Possibilites are:
    ...of the presentation. Its function...
    ...of the presentation and its function...
    However, the author wanted less of a 'full stop' to break the flow, particular as the ideas are so closely related, and 'and' wouild make the sentence very 'pedestrian' in tone. The use of a semi-colon here serves as a pause without a marked break, and requires no conjunction.

and
    ...of the presentation, with the function of...
    Your suggestion:
    ...of the presentation where its function...
    This seems eliptical: an introduction implies it starts something. Yet 'where' would imply that the introduction is itself used as an introduction, and so placed at the beginning, because introductions are what are used to 'grab' the audience. If introductions can do that, don't waste them by sticking them in the main body of the talk!!