1. Unregistered

want

Hi there

Which tense should I use?

My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor (wanted OR want) to see me today.
    thanks
    pete

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: want

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi there

Which tense should I use?

My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor (wanted OR want) to see me today.
    thanks
    pete
    If the doctor and you haven't seen each other yet, then both are okay (with one correction, wants). However, if you've already seen each other, then the only possible answer is wanted.

Re: want

Whether you have spoken to the doctor or not does not determine the use of 'wants' or 'wanted'.

"My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor wants to see me today to give me his opinion. I have to be at the hospital at 2pm."
    (The person is telling someone what has been happening, and that he has an appointment with the doctor later on that day."

My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor wanted to see me today but I can't get time off from work. My wife is going instead."

Re: want

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Whether you have spoken to the doctor or not does not * determine the use of 'wants' or 'wanted'.

I think that 'necessarily', injected where I've put the aserisk, may be the operative word. Because having seen the doctor could have some bearing on what is possible.

Potentiality 1:
    "My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor wants to see me today to give me his opinion. I have to be at the hospital at 2pm."
    (The person is telling someone what has been happening, and that he has an appointment with the doctor later on that day."

Potentiality 2:
    My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor wanted to see me today but I can't get time off from work. My wife is going instead."
    Potentiality 3:
    As "I" walks out of the doctor's office, he meets X, a close friend, and says,

I: Hi X. My son was transferred to another hospital yesterday. His doctor wanted to see me today.

X: So that's where you just were?

I: Uh-huh. Now I've gotta run. We'll catch up later.

X: You bet. Take care and give my love to your son and wife.

I'd say that there could even be a Potentiality 4 that involved a report of what the doctor said which could make use of 'wanted'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: want

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    Whether you have spoken to the doctor or not does not determine the use of 'wants' or 'wanted'.
    David, are you saying that you could also use wants after having seen the doctor?