1. collision47

Paraphrase help...

Can you paraphrase this for me:

Mack and the boys at the Palace Flophouse need little and appreciate much, and whatever they do need they acquire by their cunning. Doc is happy with his station in life and in the community (but many worry about his being lonely without a companion). Lee Chong could very easily go after the people in Cannery Row and collect on the debts he is owed, but chooses to let the money come back to him gradually. "Henri the artist" is happy building his ever-changing boat and will continually dismantle it and start again so that he can continue building it. Cannery Row is content because it is not ambitious to be anything other than it is.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

Re: Paraphrase help...

Quote Originally Posted by collision47 View Post
    Can you paraphrase this for me:

Mack and the boys at the Palace Flophouse need little and appreciate much, and whatever they do need they acquire by their cunning. Doc is happy with his station in life and in the community (but many worry about his being lonely without a companion). Lee Chong could very easily go after the people in Cannery Row and collect on the debts he is owed, but chooses to let the money come back to him gradually. "Henri the artist" is happy building his ever-changing boat and will continually dismantle it and start again so that he can continue building it. Cannery Row is content because it is not ambitious to be anything other than it is.
    isn't this (copied and pasted at that) from Wikipedia's analysis of "Cannery Row" ?
    Last edited by beascarpetta; 21-Mar-2008 at 17:45. Reason: additional remark