Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Unregistered

Smile Question about the use of a subjunctve verb

Hi, I would like to kow whether in the following sentence I should use CAN or COULD:

"the innovative points of this study are 1)..... 2) the definition of curves that could/can be considered typial for a certain kind of materials"

One moere thing: the adjective MULTIFOLDED.... can it be used to mean that a certain issue has several aspects to consider (in the sense of MULTIFACETED....which I do not lik :) ) ?

"... in a scenario as multifolded as the one described herein...."

thanks in advance

Patrick

Re: Question about the use of a subjunctve verb

Could sounds like it is possible, but not likely
    whereas can simply suggests that it is possible.

In answer to your second question, I have never heard the word "multifolded" being used at all, and would suggest that if you can use it, then it isn't in common usage, and sounds a bit odd.

"The innovative points of this study are the definition of curves that can be considered typical for a certain kind of material."

"... in a scenario as multifold as the one described herein...."

However, I doubt whether 'multifold' is correct in this context. How about 'complex' ?
    What actually IS the context? What are you referring to?
    Last edited by David L.; 22-Mar-2008 at 13:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

"..for a certain kind of material.."... may I say " certain kinds of material" ? just out of curiosiy :)

As for multifolded... I think I'll eventually change it to avoid misinterpretation... do you have any suggestion? The meaning I would lie to get through is that "a certain application is used in a wide rane of activities, for this reason the approach to this application is multidisciplinary"... I hope it makes snse somehow :)

I remember my high school English teacher spending a lot of time on this!
    Using the plural 'materials', the phrase becomes, 'certain kinds of materials'

The word you need is 'diverse'

I remember my high school English teacher spending a lot of time on this!
    Using the plural 'materials', the phrase becomes, 'certain kinds of materials'

the word you need is 'diverse'

Quote Originally Posted by trapanipalermo View Post
    "..for a certain kind of material.."... may I say " certain kinds of material" ? just out of curiosiy :)

As for multifolded... I think I'll eventually change it to avoid misinterpretation... do you have any suggestion? The meaning I would lie to get through is that "a certain application is used in a wide rane of activities, for this reason the approach to this application is multidisciplinary"... I hope it makes snse somehow :)
    Possibly 'multifaceted' would work for you, T.

++++++++++++++++++++

M-W:

multifaceted

Main Entry:
    mulˇtiˇfacˇeˇted

Function:
    adjective
    Date:

: having many facets or aspects

++++++++++++

Just reread your first posting. I'm not sure why you don't like the word but, of course, that's a personal choice only you can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, I would like to know whether in the following sentence I should use CAN or COULD:

"the innovative points of this study are 1)..... 2) the definition of curves that could/can be considered typical for a certain kind of materials"

Patrick
    In English, I don't think that can and could are considered subjunctive verbs.

Either can or could can/could be used, Patrick and really, only you can decide which it is you want. Using 'could' illustrates a greater tentativeness in the assertion while 'can' illustrates a more assured viewpoint. Perhaps more context would/will point to one or the other as more in keeping with the overall text.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Smile Re: Question about the use of a subjunctve verb

I thought that if I used COULD instead of CAN, I would make a subjunctive phrase...

I will change "multifolded" into "multifaceted".... if "multifolded" sounds awkard to so many of you, then it can't be the proper choice.

Do you know any site where I can find a list of proper collocations of adverbs nd adjectives.... I mean where can I find a list like "utterly successful", "deeply investigated", and so on...

Can you correct the errors in this sentence:
    "the conclusive part of the paper has been extended in order to include possible rules to reduce errors and to make the obtained results more easily usable"

Thanks again
    Patrick (Patrizio)
    Last edited by trapanipalermo; 22-Mar-2008 at 17:35.

Quote Originally Posted by trapanipalermo View Post
    I thought that if I used COULD instead of CAN, I would make a subjunctive phrase...

I will change "multifolded" into "multifaceted".... if "multifolded" sounds awkard to so many of you, then it can't be the proper choice.

I'm not sure that 'multifolded' is a word used in this manner in English, T. Perhaps you mean 'multifold'.

multifold
    M-W:
    Main Entry:
    mulˇtiˇfold
    Function:
    adjective
    Date:

: many, numerous

Do you know any site where I can find a list of proper collocations of adverbs nd adjectives.... I mean where can I find a list like "utterly successful", "deeply investigated", and so on...

I've never heard 'deeply investigated', Patrizio, though I suppose it's possible; 'thoroughly investigated' is a common collocation.

Can you correct the errors in this sentence:
    "the conclusive part of the paper has been extended in order to include possible rules to reduce errors and to make the obtained results more easily usable"

Thanks again
    Patrick (Patrizio)
    #

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast