Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Unregistered

Unhappy what is importantest

Dear teachers,

I am learnig english for 10 years and think that could be better after so long time. I do my best but feel something is missing maybe I am not talent. What is importantest in learning english. Please advise me on it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: what is importantest

What is important?
    What is more important?
    What is the most important?

It is practice.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

You need to speak as often as you can to native English speakers. You also need to listen carefully to what they say to you and how they say it.

Have you ever heard a native English speaker say importantest?

:D

Good luck!

Ryan

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

A teacher from the US told me every learner must follow (rigorously) this sequence:

1. listening
    2. talking
    3. reading
    4. writing

If you don't, you probably will hurt your learning process, your fluency will not be even in your dreams. Probably spending lots of money, wasting time, getting even older and the process even longer and boring.
    !
    If you can't speak, you can do NOTHING.
    !
    !
    Last edited by Offroad; 23-Mar-2008 at 04:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by marciobarbalho View Post
    A teacher from US told me every learner must follow (rigorously) this sequence:

1. listening
    2. talking
    3. reading
    4. writing

If you don't follow that sequence, you probably will hurt your learning process, your fluency will not be even in your dreams. If you can't speak, you can do NOTHING.
    I couldn't agree more, unfortunately for me. I started with option #4 and ended with option # 1, which makes me hardly speak, let alone think, in English. Understanding others talking to me is another concern of mine, I'm afraid.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Forget text books, focus on listening, do it many many times. It's simple. Don't get worried about grammar rules, get fluency first.

What's most important for a student, to be able to talk fluently or to be a "writer" who can't understand anything what people say?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thumbs up Re: what is importantest

Forget text books, focus on listening, do it many many times. It's simple. Don't get worried about grammar rules, get fluency first.

What's most important for a beginner, to be able to talk fluently or to be a "writer" who can't understand anything people say?
    There's some kind of exception to what I wrote before. Watching my favourite sport on TV, that is to say football, doesn't make me confused at all. I know exactly what the commentator wants to convey by saying he put the ball in the back of the net, or the ball deflected, or he's back defensively. So what you're saying holds true for me - the more I listen, the more I understand.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Brazilian Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    the more I listen, the more I understand.
    as time goes by, you will get closer to what people say, that language will be in your mind much sooner that you can even imagine, so, you will able to talk without thinking, effortlessly. Just listen carefully what they say many times and repeat it. However make sure that you can understand it, it has to be understandable or you will be wasting your time. Still dificult?? find something easier, easy now? Good, practice every single day.
    That's fluency. Make it fun.
    You don't need grammar on this stage. Forget it, have fun. It has to be easy for all that who want to speak fluently.
    Last edited by Offroad; 23-Mar-2008 at 04:19.

If you can't speak, you can do NOTHING.
    I'm not sure that Marcio realizes just what a truly profound statement it is that he's made. Then again, maybe he does.

A person who can interact in a language has an intuitive grasp of the actual rules of the language, a grasp of so many tiny little nuances, things that someone who has only studied it, even for years, will never have.

Time after time we come across ESLs who ask about this rule or that rule and by focusing too narrowly on the rule, they really can't see the forest for the trees. Language is not a thing that can be figured out. If we had to figure out our language before we could use it, then we'd all still be doing primitive signing.

[Well, the adults would. Children would take the primitive signing babble of the adults and in a generation move it into a full fledged language, all without understanding what they had done.]

The same thing happens to teachers, even teachers who are native speakers. They get so hung up on rules, often totally fictitious ones, that they can't see the natural language that they use on a daily basis.

There's a reason, a mighty good one, why no culture teaches their young 'uns to read and write before they can speak.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

right, so what do you do when you aim to learn a foreign language, let's say polish? do you go to Poland with no clue about basic grammar and just immerse yourself in that language?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast