1. Unregistered

Please proof read my application

Hi,

I have now amended my application and would really appreciate it if someone could check it for spelling, grammar and punctuation.

This application is really important to me and i would appreciate any help at all:

Please describe a situation where you have interacted with people who are different from you in terms of background, age or gender:

What was the situation:
    It seemed a new colleague was having difficulty settling in at work. He chose to sit by himself and appeared reluctant to join in with group activities.

What role did you play:
    During general conversation, he mentioned he is homosexual and finds it difficult interacting with people in case they judge him on his sexuality. I encouraged him to talk to the other colleagues as they were friendly and I drew him into conversations by asking for his opinions and showing an interest in his replies. I made sure that he was fairly treated and was not unconsciously ignored by some members of the team.

What happened as a result:

He soon became settled and felt comfortable enough to take part in group activities. It has also given him much more confidence in dealing with people. He has now become a valued member of the team and has brought new viewpoints and new skills to the team.

Please describe a situation where you have had to work closely with others as part of a team:

What was the situation:

As a team of sales advisors, we are set targets by senior management that we are required to achieve. On this occasion, some team members were absent due to illness, and as a result, our individual target was increased to compensate for the sheared workload.

What role did you play:
    I suggested we have a meeting to examine how best to cope with the additional workloads. I said I would look at sales opportunities to generate leads, as this is one of my strengths, other team members agreed to concentrate on existing customers. I also suggested working late one evening a week, we then discussed who would do each evening and I offered to take the first shift.

The team exceeded the sales target and my manager was so pleased with our efforts that our strategy has been used as an example of good practice for other teams when short staffed. I was praised for setting up the team meetings and my ideas and have learned the benefits of working with team members to solve problems.

Please describe a situation where you have taken steps to improve your skills and / or learn new things:

What was the situation:
    I made a decision to start a website design company. I felt confident of my skills and knowledge of website design, but I had limited skills and experience in business marketing and consequently found it difficult establishing a customer base.

What role did you play:
    I researched marketing techniques on the internet and managed to teach myself the basics, but I decided I would benefit from further tuition. I decided to contact my local chamber of commerce who arranged for me to attend a business marketing course. A key marketing techniques I learned was to contact potential customers directly, rather than expecting them to contact me.

I decided to contact my local chamber of commerce who arranged for me to attend a business marketing course. I made notes of all suggestions and idea that was discussed. A particular suggestion I liked was to contact potential customers directly, rather than expecting them to contact me.

I contacted a local surveying company to arrange a sales meeting and the result of a successful presentation, I managed to secure a sale. Using my newly acquired skills, I built relationships with new customers and further developed my business. I learned that asking questions is a key element of learning.

Please describe a situation where you have had to remain calm and controlled in a stressful situation:

What was the situation:
    Whilst driving home from work at rush hour, I witnessed a cyclist get his front tyre caught in a tram track resulting in him being thrown from his bike. The cyclist had landed in a dangerous position and could potentially be further injured.

What role did you play:
    I pulled my car over to a safe location and I assessed the situation. I managed to stop traffic in both directions with my own safety being of main concern. I phoned for an ambulance and checked the welfare of the man. I was under pressure from inpatient drivers who were sounding their horns and wanted us to move. I blocked this distraction and refused to move the patient to prevent further injury.

Because of my prompt response and refusal to allow anyone to move the man off the road, I prevented any further injury being caused. An ambulance came and took the man away by structure.

Please describe a situation where you have had to work on your own in accordance with guidelines:

What was the situation:

During the purchase of my family home, I received a letter from our solicitors stating that a previous loft conversion did not meet current fire regulations. Our solicitor said we can still go ahead with the purchase, providing that relevant alterations are made.

What role did you play:
    The project involved installing a new loft window which required me to research and follow strict guidelines set by the City Council. I was under pressure to complete this project as a surveyor was scheduled to assess the work on a particular date. I found myself working evenings and weekends on my own to compensate for this tight deadline.

The work passed the evaluation and I now live in the house with my family and in peace of mind that the house is fully compliant with all safety regulations.

Please describe a situation where you have had to change the way you do something following a change imposed by someone in authority:

What was the situation:
    At my current employment, I am required to sell products to customers. A business decision was made to change my job role from inbound sales to outbound sales.

What role did you play:
    I conducted research about my new role by asking people in my organisation who do a similar role for there views and day to day working life. I found that it is more beneficial to contact customers directly and up sell a product that they may not currently be aware of. I adjusted my existing sales techniques to adapt my new job role. I shared my research with sceptical colleagues and I helped them see the benefits of the change.

I was given an opportunity to develop my skills and progress my career. The hand over of job roles was successful and I am now achieving a much bigger volume of sales.

Re: Please proof read my application

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I have now amended my application and would really appreciate it if someone could check it for spelling, grammar and punctuation.

This application is really important to me and i would appreciate any help at all:

Please describe a situation where you have interacted with people who are different from you in terms of background, age or gender:

What was the situation:
    It seemed a new colleague was having difficulty settling in at work. He chose to sit by himself and appeared reluctant to join in with group activities.

What role did you play:
    During general conversation, he mentioned he is homosexual and finds it difficult interacting with people in case they judge him on his sexuality. I encouraged him to talk to the other colleagues as they were friendly and I drew him into conversations by asking for his opinions and showing an interest in his replies. I made sure that he was fairly treated and was not unconsciously ignored by some members of the team.

He soon became settled and felt comfortable enough to take part in group activities. It has also given him much more confidence in dealing with people. He has now become a valued member of the team and has brought new viewpoints and new skills to the team.

Please describe a situation where you have had to work closely with others as part of a team:

What was the situation:

As a team of sales advisors, we are set targets by senior management that we are required to achieve. On this occasion, some team members were absent due to illness, and as a result, our individual targets were increased to compensate for the sheared workload. shear = cut the fleece off a sheep. Use "increased workloads"

What role did you play:
    I suggested we have a meeting to examine how best to cope with the additional workloads. I said I would look at sales opportunities to generate leads, as this is one of my strengths. Other team members agreed to concentrate on existing customers. I also suggested working late one evening a week. We then discussed who would do each evening and I offered to take the first shift.

The team exceeded the sales target and my manager was so pleased with our efforts that our strategy has been used as an example of good practice for other teams when short staffed. I was praised for setting up the team meetings and my ideas and have learned the benefits of working with team members to solve problems.

Please describe a situation where you have taken steps to improve your skills and / or learn new things:

What was the situation:
    I made a decision to start a website design company. I felt confident of my skills and knowledge of website design, but I had limited skills and experience in business marketing and consequently found it difficult establishing a customer base.

What role did you play:
    I researched marketing techniques on the internet and managed to teach myself the basics, but I decided I would benefit from further tuition. I decided to contact my local chamber of commerce who arranged for me to attend a business marketing course. A key marketing techniques I learned was to contact potential customers directly, rather than expecting them to contact me.

I decided to contact my local chamber of commerce who arranged for me to attend a business marketing course. I made notes of all suggestions and idea that was discussed. A particular suggestion I liked was to contact potential customers directly, rather than expecting them to contact me.

Repetition - you need to rewrite these two paragraphs as one.
    I contacted a local surveying company to arrange a sales meeting and as the result of a successful presentation, I managed to secure a sale. Using my newly acquired skills, I built relationships with new customers and further developed my business. I learned that asking questions is a key element of learning.

Please describe a situation where you have had to remain calm and controlled in a stressful situation:

What was the situation:
    Whilst driving home from work at rush hour, I witnessed a cyclist get his front tyre caught in a tram track, resulting in him being thrown from his bike. The cyclist had landed in a dangerous position and could potentially be further injured.

What role did you play:
    I pulled my car over to a safe location and I assessed the situation. I managed to stop traffic in both directions with my own safety being of main concern. I phoned for an ambulance and checked the welfare of the man. I was under pressure from impatient drivers who were sounding their horns and wanted us to move. I blocked this distraction and refused to move the patient to prevent further injury.

Because of my prompt response and refusal to allow anyone to move the man off the road, I prevented any further injury being caused. An ambulance came and took the man away by structure.What do you mean - "by structure"?

Please describe a situation where you have had to work on your own in accordance with guidelines:

What was the situation:

During the purchase of my family home, I received a letter from our solicitors stating that a previous loft conversion did not meet current fire regulations. Our solicitor said we can still go ahead with the purchase, providing that the relevant alterations are made.

What role did you play:
    The project involved installing a new loft window which required me to research and follow strict guidelines set by the City Council. I was under pressure to complete this project as a surveyor was scheduled to assess the work on a particular date. I found myself working evenings and weekends on my own to compensate for this tight deadline.

The work passed the evaluation and I now live in the house with my family and in peace of mind that the house is fully compliant with all safety regulations.

Please describe a situation where you have had to change the way you do something following a change imposed by someone in authority:

What was the situation:
    At my current employment, I am required to sell products to customers. A business decision was made to change my job role from inbound sales to outbound sales.

What role did you play:
    I conducted research about my new role by asking people in my organisation who do a similar role for their views and day-to-day working life. I found that it is more beneficial to contact customers directly and up sell a product that they may not currently be aware of. I adjusted my existing sales techniques to adapt my new job role. I shared my research with sceptical colleagues and I helped them see the benefits of the change.

I was given an opportunity to develop my skills and progress my career. The hand over of job roles was successful and I am now achieving a much bigger volume of sales.