• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

it's not like to be guarded

[Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus

Source information:
    Date(1985-1994) TitleFlowers of chivalry. Tranter, Nigel. Sevenoaks, Kent: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, 1987, pp. 74-177. 2049 s-units.

Expanded context: ," Douglas acceded. "Where shall we cross?" "There is a ford around the next great bend of the river, at the Yair or Yarrow, where the Berwickers net the salmon. A spit of sand and gravel, brought down by this Whiteadder, makes shallows there. Cross that, my lord. It is not like to be guarded, with English on both sides of it. Then on down the far bank, to assail the English camp at the Spittal. Leaving our own guard on that side …" No better plan being put forward, this was decided upon, the prospect of assailing this Spittal

My question is how 'It's not like' can be followed by an indefinitive rather than a gerund.
    Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: it's not like to be guarded

Quote Originally Posted by joham View Post
    [Davies/BYU] BYU-BNC: British National Corpus

Source information:
    . Date(1985-1994) TitleFlowers of chivalry. Tranter, Nigel. Sevenoaks, Kent: Hodder & Stoughton Ltd, 1987, pp. 74-177. 2049 s-units.

Expanded context: ," Douglas acceded. "Where shall we cross?" "There is a ford around the next great bend of the river, at the Yair or Yarrow, where the Berwickers net the salmon. A spit of sand and gravel, brought down by this Whiteadder, makes shallows there. Cross that, my lord. It is not like to be guarded, with English on both sides of it. Then on down the far bank, to assail the English camp at the Spittal. Leaving our own guard on that side …" No better plan being put forward, this was decided upon, the prospect of assailing this Spittal

My question is how 'It's not like' can be followed by an indefinitive rather than a gerund. That isn't correct. I think they meant to say 'It's not likely to be guarded....'.
    Thank you very much.

Re: it's not like to be guarded

It is a dialectical and colloquial form. Tranter is attempting to reproduce Northumbrian/Lowlands speech from around the 14th century.

Be careful of historical novels as sources for spoken English