• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool into onto

Hi,

Is it: "I got onto the bus." Or "I got into the bus." And why?

Re: into onto

A person gets 'on a bus'.
    'into' has the sense of being 'inside and surrounded, enclosed inside something'
    This might seem just what happens when one boards a bus.
    However, the first trains and buses were not the fully enclosed vehicles they are today, and would have open sides, and the top deck might not have a roof. So 'getting on' this 'platform on wheels' seemed appropriate at the time...and has just continued as the expression till today.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool Re: into onto

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    A person gets 'on a bus'.
    'into' has the sense of being 'inside and surrounded, enclosed inside something'
    This might seem just what happens when one boards a bus.
    However, the first trains and buses were not the fully enclosed vehicles they are today, and would have open sides, and the top deck might not have a roof. So 'getting on' this 'platform on wheels' seemed appropriate at the time...and has just continued as the expression till today.
    Thank you! But I thought it was about any means of "spacious" transportation. What about flying saucer? It's in a closed space, isn't it? Shouldn't it be "I got onto the flying saucer"? Same for spaceship. And what about submarine? And car? Isn't it "I got into the car"?

Re: into onto

In many ways it comes down to whether the vehicle is public transport [train, bus, tram, trolleybus, boat/ship - including submarines, aircraft] which we board = get onto, or private transport [car, flying saucers, dogcart] which we enter = get into.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Cool Re: into onto

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In many ways it comes down to whether the vehicle is public transport [train, bus, tram, trolleybus, boat/ship - including submarines, aircraft] which we board = get onto, or private transport [car, flying saucers, dogcart] which we enter = get into.
    Thank you.